• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Diseases

Jla293

Is it possible for corns to carry or transmit any diseases? Is it very important to wash your hands after handling one? I'm just curious about any health hazards they could have. Thanks!

It is possible to transmit micro-ickies to a human (and vice-versa) or even other animals. Reptile hobbyist should make a habit of washing their hands immediately after handling their collection. Waterless hand sanitizers are great to have around when you are handling your animals.

:-offtopic Did you every get your snake sexed?

yes some things can be transmitted by snakes like salminela and other things. colds,flues and ect canot be transmited to snake and RI cant be trasnmitted to humans.

Jla293 said:
What exactly is that?

From the Center for Disease Control

What is salmonellosis?

Salmonellosis is an infection with a bacteria called Salmonella. Most persons infected with Salmonella develop diarrhea, fever, and abdominal cramps 12 to 72 hours after infection. The illness usually lasts 4 to 7 days, and most persons recover without treatment. However, in some persons the diarrhea may be so severe that the patient needs to be hospitalized. In these patients, the Salmonella infection may spread from the intestines to the blood stream, and then to other body sites and can cause death unless the person is treated promptly with antibiotics. The elderly, infants, and those with impaired immune systems are more likely to have a severe illness.

What sort of germ is Salmonella?

The Salmonella germ is actually a group of bacteria that can cause diarrheal illness in humans. They are microscopic living creatures that pass from the feces of people or animals, to other people or other animals. There are many different kinds of Salmonella bacteria. Salmonella serotype Typhimurium and Salmonella serotype Enteritidis are the most common in the United States. Salmonella has been known to cause illness for over 100 years. They were discovered by a American scientist named Salmon, for whom they are named.

I get the question about salmonellosis all of the time, and I was curious as to how many cases of salmonellosis have others on this forum had over the years from handling captive bred corns?

My experience --- None.

Do we know that this is really a common thing or is it just hearsay?

Mark

moreptiles said:
I get the question about salmonellosis all of the time, and I was curious as to how many cases of salmonellosis have others on this forum had over the years from handling captive bred corns?

My experience --- None.

Do we know that this is really a common thing or is it just hearsay?

Mark
That's a good question! Anyone have an answer?

I have read many a source that say that reptiles can carry salmonella. I certainly would not want to risk it. Besides, you should wash your hands after handling them just to avoid spreading disease to the rest of your collection. I also wash after playing with my dogs, my horses, and anywhere else that might load a bunch of disease causing germs. It's just good practice.

Back