CornSnakes.com Forums

CornSnakes.com Forums (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/index.php)
-   Behavior (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   cannibal corn ??? (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118164)

big chris 11-29-2011 05:16 PM

cannibal corn ???

Ok so first off let me say my corn has NOT eaten any of his tank mates. Secondly let me say that I know the world of snake keepers is split on housing snakes together. I know that there is absolutely no proof that they need each others companionship, but sa much as I will admit that I don't think anyone can say that they for sure don't. That being said I like watching them interact I like seeing em curled up together in a hide, I like watching them go opposite directions around the trees and vines at the top of tank and when they meet in the middle and climb around each other , I like watching em drink from opposite sides og the bowl. So it is selfish reasons that I have decided to house em together they entertain me.

That being said I have one very aggressive eater is there any reports of random cannibalism among corns I mean I feed him regularly but he acts like would eat every day if I would feed him. As some of you know after feeding last week he bit me (he ate fine this weekend so he doesn't seem to have broken any teeth thanks for all the help with my concerns there) any ways after he bit me that got my dam brain to thinking if he would try to eat me 200 times his size why wouldn't he try to eat one of his tank mates. I mean I always feed em separately but still what if he smells the mouse on the other snake where they constricted or worse what if he smells it on there head. Anyways like I said I enjoy keeping them together and I do a good job in my opinion of keeping up with who ate who went and who shed.

Thanking yall in advance , thanks Big Chris

starsevol 11-29-2011 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big chris (Post 1388504)
Ok so first off let me say my corn has NOT eaten any of his tank mates. Secondly let me say that I know the world of snake keepers is split on housing snakes together. I know that there is absolutely no proof that they need each others companionship, but sa much as I will admit that I don't think anyone can say that they for sure don't. That being said I like watching them interact I like seeing em curled up together in a hide, I like watching them go opposite directions around the trees and vines at the top of tank and when they meet in the middle and climb around each other , I like watching em drink from opposite sides og the bowl. So it is selfish reasons that I have decided to house em together they entertain me.

That being said I have one very aggressive eater is there any reports of random cannibalism among corns I mean I feed him regularly but he acts like would eat every day if I would feed him. As some of you know after feeding last week he bit me (he ate fine this weekend so he doesn't seem to have broken any teeth thanks for all the help with my concerns there) any ways after he bit me that got my dam brain to thinking if he would try to eat me 200 times his size why wouldn't he try to eat one of his tank mates. I mean I always feed em separately but still what if he smells the mouse on the other snake where they constricted or worse what if he smells it on there head. Anyways like I said I enjoy keeping them together and I do a good job in my opinion of keeping up with who ate who went and who shed.

Thanking yall in advance , thanks Big Chris

Yes, corns can eat each other. Last year a breeder on here lost a male during breeding season because the female ate him. It is rare, but it does happen.
If you are keeping them together because "they entertain you", I think that is sad. Snakes should be kept apart.

big chris 11-29-2011 05:52 PM

I will not pick a fight on here because this site has been so helpful to me, but that being said yes they entertain me with their social behaviors and no I have a hard time looking at a den of snakes either in captivity or in the wild and making the assumption that they don't enjoy each others for lack of a better term company. You obviously have your opinion and feel very strongly about it and for that I say thank you not only for taking the time to read my thread but for replying to it. I will say I am disappointed in whe forwardness of your reply and the lack of explanation to back up your "opinion" as you were so thoughtful as to quote me I felt it only fair to remind you that that is indeed alls that it is a opinion it is not fact or the law. Anyways I'm sorry after saying I didn't want to pick a fight I feel I have done just that.

But I will leave you with my opinion animals are wonderful, beautiful, fascinating and intriguing, but form dogs and horses to snakes and birds yes they are all here for our amusement and I would challenge you to think of a better way to explain why you keep snakes aside from the fact that being a ACR breeder they make you a very nice profit through out the year other than that I assume you keep them for the simple fact that they entertain you no different than the reason I play fetch with my dog it entertains me to play with her. Except cats there is no purpose for cats they are evil little demented creatures that I happen to be allergic to and my wife happens to love.

starsevol 11-29-2011 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big chris (Post 1388529)
I will not pick a fight on here because this site has been so helpful to me, but that being said yes they entertain me with their social behaviors and no I have a hard time looking at a den of snakes either in captivity or in the wild and making the assumption that they don't enjoy each others for lack of a better term company. You obviously have your opinion and feel very strongly about it and for that I say thank you not only for taking the time to read my thread but for replying to it. I will say I am disappointed in whe forwardness of your reply and the lack of explanation to back up your "opinion" as you were so thoughtful as to quote me I felt it only fair to remind you that that is indeed alls that it is a opinion it is not fact or the law. Anyways I'm sorry after saying I didn't want to pick a fight I feel I have done just that.

But I will leave you with my opinion animals are wonderful, beautiful, fascinating and intriguing, but form dogs and horses to snakes and birds yes they are all here for our amusement and I would challenge you to think of a better way to explain why you keep snakes aside from the fact that being a ACR breeder they make you a very nice profit through out the year other than that I assume you keep them for the simple fact that they entertain you no different than the reason I play fetch with my dog it entertains me to play with her. Except cats there is no purpose for cats they are evil little demented creatures that I happen to be allergic to and my wife happens to love.

Long story short, I had a rack burn up and had to house 2 snakes together, and one DIED because of it. DIED.
If you put your own entertainment over your snakes well being, yes I consider that sad. Especially if you are at this forum and know the risks.

Garter snakes do den together but they are not corn snakes. Corn snakes are solitary and do not exhibit social behavours.

And I should not be feeding the troll...because that must be what you are.

Jasonx 11-29-2011 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starsevol (Post 1388514)
Yes, corns can eat each other. Last year a breeder on here lost a male during breeding season because the female ate him. It is rare, but it does happen.
If you are keeping them together because "they entertain you", I think that is sad. Snakes should be kept apart.

i second this, if u get entertainment from this, ur sick, snakes are meant to be kept alone if being kept captive,

Christen 11-29-2011 06:13 PM

Beth!!!! I am proud of you. As for the OP I am sure you have seen the threads going on about co-habbing?!? Read them. It is your choice to house your snakes together but you need to know all of the risks before you do it for your own amusement.

I can also assure you not one person on here is making a chunk of change by breeding their snakes.

big chris 11-29-2011 06:22 PM

I don't know why you chose to call me a troll, I really don't feel that was appropriate, necessary., or justified. Simply because I disagree with you is that what makes me a troll or is it because I stood up against your bullying, and yes I don't know if you meant to or not but I would call it bullying and at this point you might be the nicest person in the world I would call you a bully. I am very sorry about the loss of your snake I definitely don't know the details of the fire or the death of your snake that you had to cohabitate with another snake temporarily. But if you had a snake die died dead I am sorry but unless your other snake made a meal out of him and since you decided not to mention that in your first message I assume that didn't happen how do you know it was because they shared a temporary enclosure. Please if you don't want to answer that you don't have to but please don't call me names or ridicule the way I keep my pets I'm not new to snakes just new to housing them I have hunted rattle snakes all over the southwest yes sometimes for sport more often for work and I have hunted rainbow boas in jamaica and all over the caymens I even got to go on a exciting trip to asia to watch and photograph some vine snakes and a cobra. So please again don't be rude its neither polite or becoming because it makes you seem like a JERK, sorry couldn't help it that was for the troll reference

beautifullywild77 11-29-2011 06:24 PM

Actually, if you use the search tool on here, you will find pictures of corns that have eaten another that were cohab. Most will die from eating each other. There is also cases of stress related illnesses as well as snakes refusing to eat and will eventual die from being cohab. I wouldnt call these opinions but experiences. I would never cohab my snakes, even out of entertainment value. I would never want to put my snakes at risk for anything that could be prevented! Mine are all housed in seperant tanks and I get enjoyment out of watching them individually!

It might not be a law, and only others "opinions". But most will give you their opinions out of experiences and some will give it to you with brutal honesty. I assume that is why we are here. To get other peoples advice, opinions or experiences!

My brutal honest opinion is yes you are being shefish housing them together for your own personal entertainment and putting them in danger of a whole aray of things. Yes, you might get lucky and nothing ever happen, but there is that risk and why put a beloved pet through that?

I wouldn't throw a ball down a street for my dog to catch just for entertainment and I doubt you would either. why? because it is dangerous and it runs the risk of your dog being hit by a car!

Good Luck with your snakes... I do pray you dont experience anything bad!

big chris 11-29-2011 06:31 PM

I have read a lot of post on cohabing spoke not only with my vet but other breeders and yes it is the choice that I have made. I don't know why that makes me a sick individual misguided in your mind yes but I don't see why this makes me sick you act like I hope they eat each other it would break my heart if they did that but it would be the building stone for my future opinions but as of now I do enjoy watching them interact and have not had one bad experience with it or talked to anybody face to face that has that is why I asked. My vet did warn me about recognizing respiratory problems and mites right away to prevent it spreading but neither my vet my local pet store or myself see any inherent problem with cohabing. And quit saying its wrong show me why besides the one and a million chance that you say one time a guy on here lost a breeding male I'm sorry one time does not provide evidence for future behavior.

I am sorry to have offended so many with my question

beautifullywild77 11-29-2011 06:38 PM

We went by what you said Big Chris! You said you cohab your snakes for your own entertainment! That is what we have the most problem with. I have talked to many Vets face to face and have warned me on the risks of cohabiting my snakes. I have talked to many reptile people who have told me their horror stories about it!
You are taking the opinion of 2 sources and yourself whiile making your choice! I would think you would want more than that to make and educated guess or opinion!

You came here and posted your question. We are just answering that question with our opinions and experiences!

I am sorry if you feel so offended with our answers!