CornSnakes.com Forums

CornSnakes.com Forums (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/index.php)
-   Behavior (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Gay snakes... (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83571)

theMeanGreen 05-15-2009 07:47 PM

Gay snakes...

I just caught my 2, supposedly male, snakes mating...Their tails are intertwined and they both seem to be enjoying it. Anyone else ever seen this?

Is it possible the guy who sold me the snake made a mistake about its gender? I didnt buy them from just anybody, but someone who breeds and sells them for a living. I will try to get his name and edit this when I do.

BobbyHill 05-15-2009 07:57 PM

It's very possible that they were sexed incorrectly before being sold to you. This is one of the many reasons why many of us feel that co-habitating snakes is a BAD idea. I suggest you separate them.

DaGiant 05-15-2009 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyHill (Post 861226)
It's very possible that they were sexed incorrectly before being sold to you. This is one of the many reasons why many of us feel that co-habitating snakes is a BAD idea. I suggest you separate them.

!!!BINGO!!!

Agent Psychocat 05-15-2009 08:11 PM

Mistakes can always be made when sexing snakes, many breeders check two or three times over their initial feeding schedual.

Floof 05-15-2009 08:15 PM

Yeah, sounds like someone was mis-sexed. Especially if they're copulating, you NEED to separate them... Anyone else notice that they're only an '07 and an '08? Separate them and find a good snake vet to contact in case... Whichever one the female is, she's 99% likely too small to even consider breeding, which means you have a big chance of her getting eggbound.

Chip 05-15-2009 08:22 PM

Can't you just accept them for being who they are?

kathylove 05-15-2009 08:44 PM

Snake sexing is pretty accurate, especially if you do it twice - once when they hatch, and once when they are sold, or moved up to a bigger cage. But it is not 100% accurate, no matter who does it. Once in a while, I come across one that seems "sort of in the middle" when probing. So although it is VERY LIKELY that they will be sexed properly by a good breeder, you can't be absolutely positive about it.

As others have mentioned, that is why it is not good to take any chances by keeping them together, ESPECIALLY if they are not both fully developed, and capable of of carrying eggs without likely problems.

MegF. 05-15-2009 09:01 PM

I would certainly not be keeping two supposed males together. Come breeding age...you're going to have some fights going on.

RobbiesCornField 05-15-2009 10:00 PM

Even if they are two males, it could have been a dominance fight. Sometimes, a more dominant male will "mate" with another male to assert his dominance over the territory. I haven't heard of this with corn snakes before, but I have read about it happening with another type of snakes. (I'll have to find the article)

theMeanGreen 05-15-2009 10:27 PM

They have their own cages. I just let them roam around together for a bit and noticed what they were doing. I don't let them live together. the one taking it is 9+ months old.