CornSnakes.com Forums

CornSnakes.com Forums (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/index.php)
-   Feeders (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Baby Corn Died Eating Crickets (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41368)

azeil 10-03-2006 08:53 PM

Baby Corn Died Eating Crickets

I guess I got some bad pet store advice when the fellow told me to put crickets in my new baby's cage. He seemed so small to eat a pinkie. When i offered him one he just took a small bite. He definately ate the crickets but now 2 days later he is dead. I only had him 10 days. The snake was a little boys pet too and I am afraid to try again. Are these snakes fragile and difficult to keep?

jazzgeek 10-03-2006 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azeil
....and I am afraid to try again.

Don't be. You definitely got bad advice. Corn snakes are not insectivores, and don't have the ability to digest the chitinous exoskeletons of crickets.

I'd take the snake back to the pet store, inform the manager of the employee AND the incorrect advice given, and demand a replacement.
Quote:

Are these snakes fragile and difficult to keep?
Corns are probably the most popular snake in the pet trade because of the husbandry "latitude" they provide.

Sorry for your loss. Know that it's not your fault, given the wrong information you were received.

regards,
jazz

dgustafson 10-03-2006 09:10 PM

They are not at all hard to keep...I am fairly new to owning snakes and i have 2 and so far I have had no problems at all...If you do a search on this site you will learn that crickets are not a good food source for corn snakes at all..I have a young snake too, and a pinkie looked to big for it to take but she proved me wrong..she took it down with little problem..Yours might have needed longer alone with the pinkie to eat it..But they are definitely not very hard to take care of and alot of fun..You should definitely give it another try. :D

Penman6668 10-03-2006 09:11 PM

Welcome to the site!!!!!!!! There are a lot of great people here. Everybody is always willing to help.
Be sure to read the FAQ section in the forums. They answer a lot of questions. There is a search feature that answers many questions also.
Also read Kathy Love's Book.

Atitlan 10-03-2006 10:32 PM

I´m guessing that if you made already the decision of getting a snake you have at least the basic thing for taking care of it, so yes I will try it again now that you´ll have a little bit more of advise here, corns are easy and they can go awhile without food, so if you need to go out for some reason you don't have to worry about it, well that is what I probably will do and some research it´s good, at least I love to read all the treads that I can!

gwb8568 10-03-2006 10:59 PM

Quote:

When i offered him one he just took a small bite.

i don't ever recall seeing corn slide over to a mouse and just take "a bite". do you mean he tried to bite it and then let go, or did he just take off like a piece of the pinky. :shrugs:

Quote:

The snake was a little boys pet too and I am afraid to try again.

sorry for your youngsters loss (and you), but if you will read on it a little more before going into your next purchase, it will help you tremendously when you finally bring the little one home. plus, you will be able to do the pet store guys job better than him (alot of them are idiots, just depends on the store owners and management who they allow to work and how much they care about the industry). the above posts are good info, also check out the link in my signature.

keep us updated.

simple_minded 10-04-2006 02:32 AM

I'm so sorry for your loss. I remember another thread a while back about feeding crickets to snakes, and we just speculated that corns won't eat them. I know it's a terrible loss for you, but it's kind of interesting to know that corn snakes will actually eat crickets (which is really surprising to me).

Don't give up! now that you know more about how to take care of a corn snake, I'm sure the next one will be a wonderful experience for you and your little boy.

Cully 10-04-2006 09:40 AM

Poor thing :(

Definitely bring the snake back to the shop and mention the bad advice given... I listen to store owners aswell, but I usually double-check online to make sure.....

You should definitely try again... maybe don't buy a very young snake... try to get a 2month or older one (maybe you did already).

NI GUY 10-04-2006 10:21 AM

They are one of the easiest in the hobby to keep.Get this book before you buy your next one and buy of a breeder rather than a pet shop.
Corn Snakes : The Comprehensive Owner's Guide
http://www.cornutopia.com/Corn%20Uto...cornsnakes.htm

jaric 10-04-2006 11:39 AM

Like everyone here, sorry to hear about the loss.

While I am still a noob regarding these animals, I definitly have some experiance with keeping a variety of animals and let me offer this advice.

Spend at least a few weeks doing research on not only how to care for the animal in question, but also getting a "care plan," worked out so that you will have as few suprises as possible. It will save you money, and more importantly, heartache in the long run.

This site here seems to be a great resource for info, but don't be afraid to spend 20$ and buy a few books on the subject. The corn snake owners guide (the book that the poster above me linked you) seems to be the one that everyone recommends here.

Also, never listen to the pet store. Most pets stores do not have the capital to properly train their employees, and the turnover rate in those store is so high, that if you do get someone trained properly they usually leave in 6 months.

I have over heard so much bad advice regarding fish set ups (yes you can keep a pacu [a fish that is so big it can usually only be kept in zoo's] in a 10 gallon aquarium) that I do not trust one word they tell me.