CornSnakes.com Forums

CornSnakes.com Forums (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/index.php)
-   Breeding/Egg Production & Care (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Sexing & Tail Length (Photos) (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27056)

CJBianco 11-17-2005 02:31 PM

Sexing & Tail Length (Photos)

4 Attachment(s)
I've heard that sexing by tail length/shape is not accurate at all, but I've also heard that sometimes the differences are obvious enough for easy identification. (I've no clue, so I'll let you kind folks decide.)

I purchased this 2001 "Silver Queen" Ghost female online and she finally arrived today. She looks as pretty as any average Ghost female, but I'm not quite certain she is a female. (Which makes me question the "Silver Queen" label. Who knows? My eyes aren't trained for the subtle differences yet.)

There were individual photos of 1.1 SQ Ghosts pictured in the original advertisement, and I saved the photos of the female. I compared those original photos with my own photos taken shortly after her arrival. The two animals have completely different head/body markings.

So the only two reasons for the non-matching photos/animals are (1) the seller accidentally sent the male, or (2) the seller accidentally labeled the advertisement photos incorrectly.

Who knows? As long as this animal is female, I'm satisfied. (And since it usually takes this seller at least three days to return an email, I figured that in the meantime I could ask opinions here.)

Here are some photos...

Chris

princess 11-17-2005 02:57 PM

I can pretty reliably visually sex by tail length in person but I'm useless at it by photos. I for 12 right out of 13 sexing a friends clutch recently!

Whatever it is, you have a beautiful snake there but it doesn't change the fact that you've been sold a different snake to the one you paid for. Now you have to decide what to do if you want to change it or what-not.

Goodluck.

princess 11-17-2005 02:58 PM

Sorry, didn't proofread the last post and I noticed now how awful it was!

I'd say from the photos that my best guess would be male..but like I said, I'm not great at sexing from photos.

CJBianco 11-17-2005 03:08 PM

Well...maybe it's my passive personality...but I don't really mind the mixup. (As long as this animal is a FEMALE.) This animal has the same basic coloring as the animal advertised as the female, and both were supposed to be the same "Silver Queen" line of Ghost. (The female was purchased in 2001 from Mike's Motleys and the male was purchased in 2003 from Serpenco.)

Who knows? Mistakes happen. And as long as this is a FEMALE, I am satisfied with the purchase.

Chris

Roy Munson 11-17-2005 03:11 PM

My guess was male too, but it's hard to tell from that photo. He/She sure is pretty though. :)

carol 11-17-2005 03:17 PM

It looks like a "tweener" to me. I can see that snake going either way. :shrugs:

CJBianco 11-17-2005 03:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
What would make a better photo? A closeup of the ventral area?

(And just so I know that I'm not mistaken, here's the originally advertised female. This is a different animal...correct?)

Chris

princess 11-17-2005 03:26 PM

Yes, the head patterns are deffinately different...I'd say you got the prettier of the 2!!!

Fingers crossed for her turning out to be a girl after all.

Joejr14 11-17-2005 03:27 PM

Yah, that's not the same animal.

Have you emailed the seller and asked about this yet?

CJBianco 11-17-2005 03:38 PM

Yeah. I already emailed the seller, but it usually takes about three days for a response. So I'm not expecting a return email this week. I left him some messages on his cell phone earlier in the week to confirm shipping, but I only got the voicemail system. It's probably a busy time of the year, though. I'm sure the seller will respond soon.

(What am I going to do with a MALE? LOL)

Chris