CornSnakes.com Forums

CornSnakes.com Forums (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/index.php)
-   Health Issues/Feeding Problems (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Baby corn snake not eating (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145713)

gene22 02-03-2018 08:35 PM

Baby corn snake not eating

Hello purchase a baby corn a few months ago that successfully ate a f/t pinky on two occasions but then stopped eating for about six weeks. I try every week with no success. Is it just the time of the year they go off feed?

Thank you

Shiari 02-03-2018 10:29 PM

Can you please provide us with the following information?

What sort of caging are you using? A tank, plastic bin, wooden viv, pvc cage, etc.
What size is the caging?
How are you heating the caging?
How are you controlling the temperatures?
How are you measuring the temperature (what kind of thermometer)?
What substrate are you using?
How many hides are you providing?
How often do you handle your snake?
When did it last shed?
What, exactly, have you tried to encourage it to eat?

If you can provide us with a picture of your snake and your set up, that would be good as well.

gene22 02-03-2018 10:54 PM

Thank you

He is a in a 10 gallon tank with a thermostat controlled heat mat on the warm side set to 85 F. He has a hide and water bowl. He is on aspen bedding. I have tried a thawed pinky in a deli cup with air holes overnight a few times with no interest. He did eat a few pinkies since we bought him but just stopped about six weeks ago. Thank for your help,

Shiari 02-04-2018 01:06 AM

Have you tried live pinks, braining, or scenting ? Also, provide more stuff for your baby to hide under. Fake plants, toilet paper tubes, just add lots of clutter.

thewalkingtechie 02-04-2018 02:51 AM

Had this issue... put the snake and a live baby pinkie into a small plastic bowl with air holes in the lid.. in about an hour or less the snakes instincts take over (and it’s annoyed) and it’ll eat it. Then go back to f/t as it should take those still without issue. This was a one time thing and worked perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thewalkingtechie 02-04-2018 02:51 AM

We used one of the KFC Side bowls, just FYI for size reference

thewalkingtechie 02-04-2018 02:53 AM

Also has he shed lately?

Karl_Mcknight 02-04-2018 02:48 PM

Male corn snakes are notorious for going off feed during breeding season, however your snake being only 6 months old, this would not apply.

Corn snakes sometimes will not eat if temps are incorrect, however you state that they are.

The only other thing I would offer is, 1. Illness, or 2. About to shed.

As a matter of information - My snake once went about 5 weeks without food. He was fine, but I had no idea what was going on at the time. Then he shed, and went right back to eating.

People sometimes think the "Shedding Process" is over in a few days, and sometimes it is. On the other hand, it can also take several weeks.

If your snake appears to be healthy otherwise, and is not losing weight, I would not worry too much.

If you're concerned, a trip to the vet might be in order.

thewalkingtechie 02-04-2018 09:41 PM

If it is a shedding issue, try misting it up a little with a spray bottle to help him out.. but not too much of course . Also, did you happen to get it at petco or petsmart ? The only snakes we have had issues with we got there ,before we knew about what went on.

gene22 02-06-2018 08:01 AM

Purchased him from a pet store that got him from a breeder. Tried bracing tgectvawed pinky with no luck.