CornSnakes.com Forums

CornSnakes.com Forums (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/index.php)
-   Health Issues/Feeding Problems (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Problems with Impaction (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12280)

KristyS 06-03-2004 03:05 AM

Problems with Impaction

Ok, this is about one of the corns at the store none out of my collection but I still care for them as if they were my own.:rolleyes:
Anyways back to the point, there is a 4 month little striped corn that was eating great at the beginning kept with an amel that was a little bit larger then himself, both mite free eating well on a regular basis, good sheds etc. The striped began to regurge his meals. I kept to the 10 day feeding rule after every regurge and watched them more closely. About 2 months after the striped started to develop a crusty, white, large bulge at his vent. It was caked right on there.. it looks extremely painful as well. I went to go feed the striped today, he looks limp, very thin and had a huge swollen abdomen with the white crust all around his vent. I soaked him in warm water until it came off. What would cause this? its not going away either.. thats whats bothering me... I feed them in all seperate closures make sure none of the other employees even attempt to handle the snakes after feeding sessions. Is there anything else I can do for this guy to help him out?

Thanks for any replies
Kristy

babbaloo99 06-03-2004 01:14 PM

I would take him to a vet right away. It doesn't sound good to me based on other threads describing similar events. I would even keep it separated from any other snakes. I am sure some of the more experienced visitors to this site might have more to say based on their knowledge of these things. I hope for the best.

Amanda E 06-03-2004 04:03 PM

A swollen belly is also a sign of crypto; AKA a non-curable/deadly contagious disease.

If that is a part of the problem, be very careful so you don't bring the disease home with you.

If you don't already... take a shower right when you come home from the store before interacting with any of your own snakes. Even at times when the animals in the pet store seem healthy, this is a good thing to do.

Darin Chappell 06-03-2004 04:22 PM

I'm really sorry to hear that the snake is doing so poorly, but it has been my experience that once they start to go limp, death is only a few days away. Be sure you do as Amanda suggested above in your cross-contamination precautions. Crypto is very rare (I've only heard of one VERIFIED case in ONE snake), but it could happen.

As an aside, and please forgive me for using this thread to prove a point...

Where are all the people who say that two corns sharing a vivarium is such a good idea??? When the two animals are healthy, non-competitive, and flourishing, everything is fine. However, these two snakes were fine in the beginning too! Then one got sick, and there is no way to know whether the other will now get sick and die too!!!

C'mon folks! Where are you all to say "Yeah, it's bad that one is dying and the other could be contaminated . . . but didn't they look CUTE together all curled up like they were before one DIED!"

I ususally try to stay out of the "can they stay together" threads (though I have failed from time to time), but I have to say this. There is NO reason for the benefit of the snakes to house them together. Since there is no BENEFIT, and there is the inherent RISK as seen in this instance, I cannot see how it is a wise husbandry practice.

You may never lose a snake, and you may lose them all. But if you keep them together, it is by mere chance that either option above takes place. As for me, I keep mine separate, and I KNOW that I am not allowing my animals to infect/infest one another with cross-contamination/stress/cannibalization issues.

I am always willing to say that there are more ways to keep corns than any of us have ever even considered, so please don't think that I believe myself to have all the answers, folks! I just wonder why we never have the "keeping them together" proponents posting on threads such as this one??? The silence is deafening and speaks volumes, IMHO.

J_Daniels 06-03-2004 05:46 PM

Re: Problems with Impaction

Quote:

Originally posted by KristyS
The striped began to regurge his meals. I kept to the 10 day feeding rule after every regurge and watched them more closely. About 2 months after the striped started to develop a crusty, white, large bulge at his vent. It was caked right on there.. it looks extremely painful as well. I went to go feed the striped today, he looks limp, very thin and had a huge swollen abdomen with the white crust all around his vent. I soaked him in warm water until it came off.
I really hate to say this to you, but I had the exact same situation with (ironically) an Amel. Stripe, and by the time I noticed it (same stage you're describing) there was nothing to be done. He was dead within two days.

I'm sorry, it's never to late for a Vet to check it out though.

Here's the thread, see if it rings any bells with you...
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/sho...&threadid=6290

Jason