CornSnakes.com Forums

CornSnakes.com Forums (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/index.php)
-   Husbandry and Basic Care (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Albinos and Shedding (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146286)

Jiboia-Arco-Íris 11-06-2018 07:44 PM

Albinos and Shedding

1 Attachment(s)
Hey there! I was wondering how to tell if an albino cornsnake was shedding or in pre-shed.

I noticed that she had some regurgitation movements the last time she ate, although she ended up not regurgitating and took her meal well. The food wasn't large either. I heard that if you feed your snake in pre-shed they can regurgitate.

Aside from that I noticed that she hides a lot lately. I added a hide box and I keep it humid, but she stopped hiding there after two days. I haven't been handling her since the last time she ate and it's been 5 days. She has been moving around but from only two spots- her hide box on the cool end and on top of a plastic tree on the hot end.

I wonder if I should feed her this week or skip and if there are any other tips for me when it comes to letting her shed.

Thanks so much!

Attachment 195425

Karl_Mcknight 11-07-2018 04:15 AM

Regurgitation Movements?

Jiboia-Arco-Íris 11-07-2018 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karl_Mcknight (Post 1735305)
Regurgitation Movements?

Yeah! Like the mouse she swallowed moved back up her neck before going back down.... and she yawned quite a bit afterwards. Really strange if you ask me, but I'm a new owner so I'm not too sure.

Karl_Mcknight 11-07-2018 08:24 PM

Snakes yawn after eating to reset their jaws after spreading them so wide. All snakes do that.

Jiboia-Arco-Íris 11-07-2018 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karl_Mcknight (Post 1735311)
Snakes yawn after eating to reset their jaws after spreading them so wide. All snakes do that.

I've heard about that, although what put me off was the movement of the mouse since it moved up her neck. I've been feeding her week after week and she's never done anything like that... and the mice I've fed her were the same size.

I feel like maybe I'm being overly concerned but I do want to know what are the signs of a shedding albino snake. Do their eyes turn dull and blue like other cornsnakes?

Thanks so much for answering though! I'm glad it seems that I'm just being overly concerned for no reason.

Twolunger 11-08-2018 09:50 AM

The eyes of an albino do cloud over the same way other morphs do. It may not seem as obvious, but it does happen.

Jiboia-Arco-Íris 11-08-2018 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twolunger (Post 1735318)
The eyes of an albino do cloud over the same way other morphs do. It may not seem as obvious, but it does happen.

Hey there! Turns out she just shed today. Basically, all of the worries I had were over a very simple reason. I absolutely could not tell by her eyes, but her general disposition changed and I should've listened to my gut! (Although maybe it's better to be safe than sorry?)

Thanks so much!

Maevenish 11-19-2018 02:21 PM

You have a beautiful little noodle. Glad you were able to figure her out. I just got my Peach a few months ago and she's over a year old now. I found myself worrying that much about her as well. It's a good sign that you are a good parent. Enjoy your little one.