CornSnakes.com Forums

CornSnakes.com Forums (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/index.php)
-   Husbandry and Basic Care (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   My young Candy Cane... (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45)

Snipper 03-25-2002 02:06 PM

My young Candy Cane...

Hello everyone,
I would like to know what is the best lighting for him? How often should I pick him up? After how old may I take him out side with me for a while? I guess that's it for now. If you have any other info please do tell. I just bought my candy cane corn on Friday and I'm new to this stuff so any info would be helpful,THX'S! By the way he only 8-9 months Oh he cute!!

Simon 03-25-2002 05:08 PM

To answer some of your questions

Well the best lighting for a corn snake should be an infra red spot light. They can't see the red light so it doesn't disturb them as much as regular light bulbs.

Well you can pick him up whenever you want BUT do NOT pick him up after his meal. Leave him alone for AT LEAST 48 hours so he can digest the mouse.

Well you can take him outside anytime you want. They were supposedly to be wild so of course it can go out. But then people have been going through touble with neighbours because the are scared or it and scream their head off just because of it.....

Good luck with him and hope that you'll have great fun!

Remember to buy the "Corn Snake Manue" from Bill and Kathy Love if you haven't!

Good luck and Happy Herping!

Alicia 03-25-2002 07:41 PM

congratulations

By lighting do you mean for heat of for viewing? For heat a nighttime bulb is best so it does not disturb their normal rest and active times.(a red bulb is for nighttime) If you want lighting for viewing then fluorescent lighting will work without adding xtra heat. Going outside is fine as long as it's not too cold. You can hold him most times except during the 48 hr period after eating. I personally do not handle mine when their eyes are blue before shedding. They get a little grumpy:) For sure get a copy of The Corn Snake Manuel by Bill & Kathy Love and you can get caresheets off the internet. Good luck with your Candycane!!!

CornsnakeKeeper 03-29-2002 10:31 PM

An under tank heating pad is all that is needed for heat. No need for any other lighting unless you so choose. Follow the others advice on that one. He can go outside as long as its for a short time and catches no chill at any age. Feed once a week and don't handle for two days after feeding. Good luck! You'll soon be addicted like the rest of us...

Slivers 04-04-2002 07:25 AM

The lighting required depends on how warm and light the room is. If (like me) it is usually cold where you live, you may need an infra red, or normal spot lamp as well as a heat mat. At night in winter, I also use a normal red light bulb to ensure no major heat drop. As regards to handling I gave my snowcorn 2 weeks to settle in. The mistake I made was being afraid to pick him/her up. When I put my hands in the tank it would spit and strike and generally get distressed. In the end I just chased it around till I caught it and forced it to be my freind!! 15 mins a day should see you right in no time.

csmith1626 04-04-2002 04:19 PM

congrads on your new snake. have lots of fun!

B-J@y 04-04-2002 05:19 PM

Simon loves "the corn manual"

He also recommended me this book! It is really great!!! you should buy it!!!

Good Luck and have lots of fun with your candy corn!!

Missymonkey 04-04-2002 05:48 PM

would a red tinted party light be ok at night? I have a red one and a blue one left from new years, so instead of buying some expensive infra red one could I just use those? Or is that a bad idea?

Slivers 04-04-2002 05:57 PM

I use plain red at night if necessary Missy. Should really use spot lamp during day so they can bask underneath if they wish, you then also get two temps inside tank rather than heating whole tank to same temp (normal lamp). My snow seems quite happy with either should the need arise....