CornSnakes.com Forums

CornSnakes.com Forums (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/index.php)
-   Husbandry and Basic Care (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   My Snake Has Cloudy Eyes (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65854)

g124v17y 04-04-2008 07:24 PM

My Snake Has Cloudy Eyes

Hi,

I think my snake's eyes have gotten cloudy since I first got him. I'm not sure if this is normal or if something is happening.

Thanks,
Sam

xchris 04-04-2008 07:28 PM

Its getting ready to shed, make sure you raise the humidity, dont handle him/her and i wouldnt recommend feeding, i doubt he/she would eat anyways

g124v17y 04-04-2008 07:48 PM

Really? That makes a lot of sense! Two days ago was his scheduled feeding but he didn't eat. I just tried again and he STILL didn't eat. Raising the humidity is one thing, is there anything else I should do?

patm1313 04-04-2008 07:48 PM

If he is shedding, all of his colors will dull out and will have a pink or blue cast to them. This phase is refered to as "being in the blue". You can expect him shed in anywhere from 4-7 days from the time you first see him in the blue. The best tip I can give for aa sucessful shed is to build a shed box. A shed box is basically a hide that is closed in an retains humidity. The corns will go in there, and the extra humiddity will help the corn shed. My instructions for making one are as follows:

1. Find a suitable container, with a lid. The size should be just like hide should be, not to large for your corn but not too small. Making it too large will make it feel less "safe" to a corn, and making it too small will be uncomfortable or hard for the corn to use. I would suggest using a translucent or opaque container to make the snake fell secure. Also, using any material like cardboard, paper or anything of the like that will absorb water is not too much of a good idea. I don't see paper like material being bad if you need something disposable for the week that your corn is shedding, but I like to keep the shed box and re-use it. The lid is necessary to hold in the humidity. If you find the perfect container, but don't have a lid, you can probably make one.

2. Find a suitable interior "substrate" for use in the shed box. I use cut-to-fit (not shredded) paper towels, as they are cheap, but I have heard of spaghnum moss being useful as well. using a substrate like aspen isn't going to do you any good, it will lock in the moisture you give it.

3. Cut a hole in the side of the shed box big enough to easily allow the corn to enter and exit, yet not too big, as it will let out excess humidity.

4. Fill the shedbox with your substrate of choice, and put the lid on.

Congrats, you have a shed box. I would suggest making two, placing one on the warm side and one on the cold side of you tank. The first shed I had with my corn was horrible. The shed was not anywhere near complete, and had to be manually removed in some places. The next shed I put two shed boxes in and what do you know, my corn had his first perfect shed.

g124v17y 04-04-2008 07:56 PM

what would be considered a "perfect" shed as opposed to an imperfect shed?

patm1313 04-04-2008 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by g124v17y (Post 610246)
what would be considered a "perfect" shed as opposed to an imperfect shed?

A "prefect shed" for me is a shed where every bit of skin is removed. This would include the very small pieces at the tip of the tail, the eye caps, and all oif the skin everywhere else.

An "imperfect shed" is just not a perfect shed, there could be a piece at the tail or something of the like. In my instructions, I do not guarantee a perfect shed, as it may still be an imperfect shed, but see below.

A bad shed, like the first shed I had with my corn, is one where the skin does not come off all in one piece, but rather in much smaller sperated pieces. I do guarantee you that if you provide a shed box, and maintain a high humidity in it, that you will never get a bad shed when using a shed box properly.

g124v17y 04-05-2008 01:14 PM

His eyes are no longer cloudy today..... What does that mean? There is no shed in the tank...

xchris 04-05-2008 01:25 PM

Mine did that too, wait another day or two and you'll see a shed, mine actually ate during this time, i dont see the harm in feeding your snake now if he/she wants to eat but if your snake refuses to eat again dont worry it will start eating again after it sheds, just dont handle it still, its annoying not being able to handle your pet for this period of time but its not like its every week or anything.

as for that "perfect shed" dont stress if its not perfect, mine was almost perfect but had a small peice half way down the tail that didnt come off, it was maybe a cm long, its really no big deal unless it looks like a whole bunch of dandruff everywhere.

So anyday now your little corn should be shedding :)

dionythicus 04-05-2008 01:54 PM

I highly recommend you pick up a few books on cornsnakes so that you will be able to educate yourself about their habits. The Cornsnake Manual by Kathy Love is one of the best. It can be purchased at most pet stores, or on her website... Cornutopia.com. Please take the time to read the FAQs on this site, and pick up some reading material.

g124v17y 04-05-2008 02:03 PM

I have done some reading about corn snakes. I have also seen Kathy Love's books at my local petstore and have read them in the store. I put two shed boxes in but they are terrible so I will redo them. Thanks!