CornSnakes.com Forums

CornSnakes.com Forums (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/index.php)
-   Husbandry and Basic Care (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Aspen Shavings vs Aspen Chips? (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80624)

Em Wright 03-13-2009 09:57 PM

Aspen Shavings vs Aspen Chips?

Hey folks!

I was wondering if it is acceptable to use Aspen chips as a form of substrate. I currently use the ZooMed "Aspen Snake Bedding" and a medium sized bag (8 dry quarts) is like $8 and just doesn't last me long. In the rodent section they have a nice big bag of Aspen (yes it is Aspen I checked) but it's more like chips than shavings, but the price is a lot nicer ($15 for easily twice-three times the bedding).

Will the chips harm the snakes if I use it? Are there other risks I should consider? Does anyone use chips vs shavings? If so what do you think?

I would really prefer to spend less on bedding, but not at the risk of my snakes' health.

Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Lennycorn 03-13-2009 10:20 PM

I think the chips are use more over in UK just because "shavings" is hard to find. I have read anything bad about it

Em Wright 03-13-2009 10:27 PM

Okay. Thanks for posting! :)

I just wasn't sure. I hesitate to change bedding types without getting some info about the new type beforehand. :)

eight 03-14-2009 01:23 PM

I use a combination of both substrates mixed together at about 1 part shredded aspen to 2 parts aspen chips. My snakes seemed to burrow more under the shavings than the chips but the mix doesn't seem to discourage them from burrowing.

crackerhead 03-14-2009 01:52 PM

I've used both and decided I liked the chips best. The main reason is that they are more absorbent and easier to scoop. I get the Harlan Sanichips in the bale. For me that's maybe one full cleaning of bins. People with a more reasonable number of snakes could probably last a year on one bale.
Terri

metallica fish 03-14-2009 02:14 PM

i use chips...

easy to clean

Em Wright 03-14-2009 06:08 PM

Thanks folks. I went out today and bought a HUGE thing of the chips. I shouldn't have to buy substrate for a while. :D

Thanks again.

Conagher 03-15-2009 05:59 AM

Hey Em,
Thank you for allowing my family and me to visit the other day. We thoroughly enjoyed it. One thing that Jade and I really liked was the look of was the shavings. To us they looked nicer than the chips we have been using. We have only used chips, as that was all we have ever found so far.

Since it sounds like the majority of the people prefer them, and we haven't had the chance to compare prices at all, I guess we will stick with the chips as well. :) The timing on your post was odd, as I was preparing to ask the same question, only I was prepared to switch to shavings, should people recommend them more.

Em Wright 03-15-2009 08:07 AM

Hey there! I'm glad you guys enjoyed yourselves, we had a good time also. :) I really do like the look of the shavings, but there is a significant price difference. Since we just moved my Snow (the one who refused to come out of her hide while you guys were here) into a 95qt tub we needed a cheaper solution for substrate. Newspaper is of course an option, but doesn't look nice and she doesn't like it. Plus I find that it smells worse, and she tipped her water dish and made a huge mess, a problem I've not had when using aspen.

If I could find a nice big bag of the shavings for a good price, I would probably stick with that. I find that actual reptile supplies are always marked up, though. :(

The bag of chips we got was only $15 for 4 cubic feet (compressed to 2). Which to me is a great buy. :D I'll be using it for not only my snakes, but the mouse colony and our pet rats.

ZoologyGirl 03-15-2009 01:49 PM

I use whichever is cheaper (usually the chips in the rodent section)