CornSnakes.com Forums

CornSnakes.com Forums (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/index.php)
-   Husbandry and Basic Care (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   disinfecting wood hides (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57333)

sandybunny 10-05-2007 02:04 PM

disinfecting wood hides

I use a diluted bleach solution to clean the inside of the tank, water bowl, and rock hide. I have one hide that is wood, and one that is coconut shell. They are absorbent, so is it safe to use the bleach solution? I spray everything down and then rinse VERY well, of course. I would like to know how you guys clean your porous tank accessories. Thanks.

darkmorning1 10-05-2007 02:24 PM

i use a tank snake spray that my reptile shop makes there. works great smells good too. i don't know how they make it. i use to use a mix of water with white distilled vinegar. its safe,disinfecting,cleans well, doesn't smell bad. i rather use a vinegar mix then use diluted bleach. if u want something more fancy. you can go to a reptile shop or pet shop you can pick up a bottle of reptile cage cleaning.

Sanebedlam 10-05-2007 03:52 PM

You can also wrap them in foil and toss them in the oven I know this is another regular means to disinfect it won't remove gunk off them but it will disinfect everything there. I believe the temp normally used is 250ish.

Sanebedlam 10-05-2007 03:52 PM

I am not sure how well the oven method would work on the coconut though due to the fibers I would worry about a possible fire hazard?! Maybe do it but keep a close eye on it.

Wis_fishing_guy 10-05-2007 05:05 PM

I always use dish soap then vinegar on most of my reptiles stuff,oven if I can!!!!!I have read that Freezing works too.But never tried.

serafino 10-05-2007 11:27 PM

Freezing would sterilize it at first.... but... then you get moisture on the outside from the cold temp and that moisture would stimulate bacteria to grom faster once it warms up. I think the oven method used with a mixture of antibacterial soap and water would get rid of gunk and sterilize it enough. Thats just me I mean things don't have to be completely sterlile you know but if your a clean junky using the soap and water and then heating them in an oven would probably do wonders for you. :cool:
:)

serafino 10-05-2007 11:30 PM

Oh and I forgot most things will start to burn at 250 your best bet is under 250 degrees F so like around 230 or somewhere around there man I can't belive I forgot that :dunce:

sandybunny 10-06-2007 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by serafino
Oh and I forgot most things will start to burn at 250 your best bet is under 250 degrees F so like around 230 or somewhere around there man I can't belive I forgot that :dunce:

Thanks for the detail. I might would have had a fire on my hands, lol. :uhoh:
Before I posted the question, I had used the bleach solution on them already. I rinsed till I was blue in the face, but I wondered if it was OK. I'm a bit of a clean freak with the snake stuff because I have a 3 year old and a 1 year old. I want to try to keep the salmonella load under control for them especially. Thanks for the replies. I will try antibacterial soap and baking next cleaning cycle.

serafino 10-06-2007 01:48 PM

It shouldn't be a big problem the reason I don't use bleach before I bake it lol is because it can give off flamable and toxic fumes. Just make sure to rinse it extremely well before you put it in the oven or even in the enclosure. I'm pretty sure snakes and bleach don't mix lol, which is why I use antiba. soap because it has no effects on snakes other than an unpleasant taste. I'm sure they don't go tasting things in there enclosure, except for just tasting the air but than it doesn't taste bad so don't worry about the bleach. Hope that helps :).