CornSnakes.com Forums

CornSnakes.com Forums (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/index.php)
-   Health Issues/Feeding Problems (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Poo VS Regurge **Pics** (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56771)

Nanci 09-22-2007 08:34 AM

Poo VS Regurge **Pics**

2 Attachment(s)
Here's a clue: if you open the viv and it smells like your snake died- it's a regurge. Yet another bad thing about plastic cages is the inability to immediately smell something is wrong...Pic #1 is poo, pic #2 is regurge. These were 19g mice. Separate feedings three weeks apart (there was a refusal in between) both deposited in the blind spot in the cage.

Nanci

TWGarland 09-22-2007 09:33 AM

I'd have to say i like the first pic better :grin01:

Nanci 09-22-2007 09:36 AM

Yeah, that second one was pretty disappointing...I'd worked him up very slowly from 10g to 19g. Hadn't regurged since June or so. Now he has to go back to 10g, plus he's into his always-late spring feeding strike, too.

Nanci

starsevol 09-22-2007 11:22 AM

dead animal smell + seeing a mouse tail = regurge

nasty business all around.

And then you have rosy boas, who sometimes look really hungry and grab the prey. Thinking they are eating and with another dozen snakes to feed you stupidly put the rosy's cage away on the shelf. The rosy then decides he's not hungry after all, releases the prey and wanders off.

2 days later you are feverishly tracking down the source of that smell before work!

Good times :)

Nanci 09-22-2007 11:41 AM

I think I'm going to try a different approach. I'm going to start him back on a ten gram mouse, then maybe two 6g, then two 7g, etc. to try to get up to two 10g. I have been slitting the heck out of them- like ten slits each. But maybe just a smaller mass will be helpful. Of cours all mice have a dab of Nutribac on them.

Nanci

Msterry 09-23-2007 12:38 AM

Is it possible there is something in the nutribac that his body is rejecting hench the regurges? Perhaps he has an allergy to something in it?? Just a thought...

Ginafish 09-25-2007 07:17 PM

That regurg looks literally mummified! :-puke01:

I've been lucky insofar that I haven't had any regurges from my snakes yet...

Nanci 09-25-2007 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Msterry
Is it possible there is something in the nutribac that his body is rejecting hench the regurges? Perhaps he has an allergy to something in it?? Just a thought...

Well, he's been getting Nutribac on every meal since January. The last regurge before this was in June, I think. Nutribac is a brand of probiotics specifically for reptiles.

The vet speculates that there may be some structural digestive system problem that makes him so he can only eat smaller meals, since we've ruled out anything bacterial or parasite-related. But it would cost mega-bucks to diagnose, and then even if we did know an exact cause, it would more than likely be not fixable.

Nanci

wax32 09-26-2007 01:53 PM

Great instructive photos Nanci! You are correct about the smell... about as bad a smell as you ever want to encounter. :D