CornSnakes.com Forums

CornSnakes.com Forums (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/index.php)
-   Discussions about this site (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Signature area use - specifically, dragon images (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81109)

Rich Z 03-23-2009 03:08 PM

Signature area use - specifically, dragon images

When I set up this site, I felt that allowing such things as images for avatars and graphics images and banners within the signature area would be a nice touch for all the members to utilize. Sometimes things got carried away, and I had to limit the number of text lines used in the signature area, but all in all there really weren't many problems that had to be dealt with concerning those areas.

However, lately I believe things are getting a bit carried away. Specifically I am referring to the dragon images that some people sport in within their signature areas. My understanding of the way they work is that they provide a link back to a website, which accepts the incoming image request, processes it, and then returns an image based on some sort of criteria related to hits and views. So, as anyone who thinks about this a bit can see, this provides quite a bit of overhead for any site that is having those images viewed on the webpages for their viewers. Of particular concern to me are external calls made to another server for each viewing of the image (and some members here have MULTIPLE dragon images within their signature area). Obviously that can affect the page loading for ANY viewer who views a page where a member has posted a reply and the signature area is visibly displaying those dragon images. I really don't want to be a wet blanket concerning people have some fun, however when it affects the performance of this site and quite probably incurs a penalty on the other viewers, then I am afraid that I must ask everyone to remove such images from their signature area immediately.

Sorry about this, but I really can't have something like this affecting the throughput of this site and causing a penalty for all viewers. I hope you understand my reasoning for this concern.

carol 03-23-2009 05:08 PM

Any chance we can have just one? :bowdown:
I think it has motivated some people to be contributors here. Normally it doesn't drag much (no pun intended) but the site has had some issues lately making things slower. Maybe we can take them all down until they get it sorted out and then after be allowed one? Never hurts to ask... :)

Maize411 03-23-2009 05:46 PM

I'm in agreeance with that..though I'm not a contributing member (yet) the idea of having one of my dragon images in my signature an appealing thought..

I do agree having too many can be a bit of a pain, but having one shouldn't cause too many problems...

Just my opinion..

LindsayMarie 03-24-2009 05:10 PM

I dont understand, but I keep trying to update my signature area and it doesnt appear on any of my previous posts??? Is this a new thing? Or a personal problem I am having.....Thanks LM

LindsayMarie 03-24-2009 05:12 PM

oops sorry to hijack a thread and it looks like signature edits dont apply to existing posts anymore?

dionythicus 03-24-2009 08:12 PM

I had no idea it was causing so many problems. This is pretty much the only forum I'm on, so the way the dragon things works, I'll never get enough hits to hatch any dragons if it's not posted in my sig here. That's ok. I respect Rich and his website. I have removed them from my sig,

Susan 03-24-2009 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LindsayMarie (Post 826706)
oops sorry to hijack a thread and it looks like signature edits dont apply to existing posts anymore?

That's weird...but you seem to be correct. Your signature isn't on your older posts, just these new ones. :shrugs:

Em Wright 03-24-2009 09:31 PM

I must say I'm kind of bummed about this. :( I haven't noticed any loading problems for me from people who have the eggs in their signatures, but that's just me. I'll respect your wishes and remove them, but I'm really saddened by it, as I (like Dionythicus) get most of my views from here.

For anyone who thinks they won't be able to get enough hits for their scroll you can post the link in your signature. That way all of your dragons benefit from people clicking the link. :D Downside is that in order to get views people have to actually click the link. But it's better than nothing. :)

stephen 03-24-2009 10:03 PM

Why argue or complain

Man, dont think he even needs to explain anything. He dont want them then his wish should be your comand!
Enough said! :nyah:

Em Wright 03-24-2009 10:06 PM

I wasn't arguing, nor complaining. I complied. It's just that some of us were enjoying it and are sorry that it has to go. Is it so wrong to express that? I'm not saying anything should be done differently, if it causes problems, then out the door with it. :)