CornSnakes.com Forums

CornSnakes.com Forums (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/index.php)
-   Breeding/Egg Production & Care (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Crickets? (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115903)

Lyion 09-07-2011 04:10 PM

Crickets?

I was rereading snake book in general for the fun of it when I came upon the corn snake section. It was a section I usually pass up as I already know my share of information about corns but I decided to read it anyways to I could learn somthing new. Upon reading, I found the text "In the wild, young corn snakes eat lizards and crickets and adults eat rodents" Well, I knew that, but hadn't taken to thought that hatchlings, accordingly could be fed crickets. I'm cautious because I know junebugs can harm them but as anyone tried this? I want to know how healthy this would be for them. ^^.

Lyion 09-07-2011 04:34 PM

bump ineffective?

starsevol 09-07-2011 04:49 PM

That sounds like the book that is read by some of the worst petshops in the nation! Although some pet shops DO feed crickets and reccomend them to customers, crickets are NOT acceptable food for baby cornsnakes. They have a hard exoskeliton that can cause blockages and kill them. That is, if you can get a baby corn to actually eat a cricket....

BooBoo18 09-07-2011 04:55 PM

I have heard its a bad idea to feed corns crickets. We took our hatchling to the vet because he would not eat and our vet said put extra small crickets in for him as that is what they start eating in the wild. Our vet works with reptiles so we followed his advise and Luke seems to be doing good with them. we are still trying the pinkies too and will stop the crickets as soon as he will eat a pinkie on a consistent basis. I am definitely no expert as this is our first corn snake so this is just my experience.

ScottyK 09-07-2011 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BooBoo18 (Post 1361263)
we are still trying the pinkies too and will stop the crickets as soon as he will eat a pinkie on a consistent basis.

What specifically is going on as far as it's willingness to take pinkies, and what do you mean by consistant?

I'm worried that the above statement is reversing the cause and effect. If your snake is eating crickets, that may be the actual reason it's not taking pinkies regularly. You really want to cut out the crix and get it onto straight pinks right away. Both from a nutritional standpoint, and because you want it to imprint on F/T commercial mice as early in life as possible.

Lyion- I'm sure that wild baby corns eat insects and arachnids of several species when young. Lizards are also grabbed, and lizard scenting is an often used trick for reluctant feeders. For captives I would stay away from insects for the reasons I mentioned above. Even taking the nutritional argument off of the table, captive snakes have an annoying habit of sometimes imprinting on a certain food. I'd rather just feed what will work for it's entire life...

Lyion 09-07-2011 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starsevol (Post 1361262)
That sounds like the book that is read by some of the worst petshops in the nation! Although some pet shops DO feed crickets and reccomend them to customers, crickets are NOT acceptable food for baby cornsnakes. They have a hard exoskeliton that can cause blockages and kill them. That is, if you can get a baby corn to actually eat a cricket....

Thanks Starse ^^ I thought it wouldn't be good for them, and I would imagine the feet could scratch the poor corns :(. When I do breed, I'll try to stick with pinkies ^^

ScottyK 09-07-2011 05:09 PM

BooBoo- Also just curious. How long had the hatchling refused to feed when the vet told you to use crickets?

BooBoo18 09-07-2011 06:13 PM

We have had the hatchling for about two/three months. He was a month old when we got him and had tried feeding a f/t pinkie, f/t pinkie with head smash/ f/t pinkie head/ dancing pinkie, live pinkie, tease feeding, rubbed the pinkie on a gecko (the gecko was not happy) was even thinking about force feeding when we brought him to the vet. We tried something different every 5 days the only time we got some type of reaction was the pinkie we dipped in tuna juice. He attacked that one but did not eat it. We read through the feeding thread and tried the suggestions made there. I'm pretty sure if it was on the feeding thread we tried it. We also called the breeder for suggestions which did not work either.

We really want him to get onto the f/t pinkies he had eaten f/t for the breeder so he has eaten them just wont eat them for us. The crickets were not tried until he was with us for about 2 to 3 months and refusing to eat pinkies and we took him to the vet. I did ask him about the crickets as I had read they are not good food items and the vet told us to get him eating something and continue to try to get him on the pinkies which is what we are doing now. Our biggest concern at that point was he appeared to have been losing weight.

I would be happy with any other suggestions any one might have to get our little guy eating f/t.

MikeSaw23 09-07-2011 06:54 PM

Do not feed with crickets!

ScottyK 09-07-2011 07:35 PM

Well- You're off in unexplored territory as far as my knowledge is concerned. Here are a few things that come to mind, but I'm kind of shooting from the hip here.

As far as I know, nobody has maintained a corn for any significant length of time on insects. I believe you are on a very short stint of borrowed time right now, so don't lose the urgency to keep working the mice. In the meantime make sure you are gutloading with the widest variety of quality feeds you can and make sure you are getting supplemental calcium to your snake...

Have you tried cricket scenting the mice and/or vice versa?

Are you 100% sure your cage, hides and temps are in order? The main reason I ask is that you said it fed for the breeder. It's less common for a snake who has already eaten f/t to then refuse to eat if everything else is good.

Are you keeping track of the snakes weight? It might be a good idea, especially if you decide to try stopping the crix for a while to help force it onto mice.

That's about all I have. Hopefully more suggestions will come in. Keep us posted and best of luck...

Scott