CornSnakes.com Forums

CornSnakes.com Forums (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/index.php)
-   Health Issues/Feeding Problems (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Scale sticking up on top of snakes head. (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108132)

chamgam 01-13-2011 10:12 AM

Scale sticking up on top of snakes head.

A couple of days ago, I noticed a little piece of skin (shaped like a single scale but transparent like shed skin). It is sticking straight up in the air. Snake is acting normal and eating good. I am hoping it will either come off as he moves around or with the next shed.

I'm sure someone on here has seen this happen; any advice?

bitsy 01-13-2011 10:22 AM

I've occasionally seen it. As long as there are no signs of a break in the skin underneath or an infection, then I'd leave it. As you say, either it will sort itself out with the next shed or will be knocked off in the course of his usual wanderings.

I'd keep an eye on it to be sure it stays the same and doesn't start affecting a wider area, but I've never had one that caused a problem other than looking a bit daft for a few weeks.

visceralrepulsion 01-13-2011 05:21 PM

i had a similar issue with my snake. mine had what appeared to be slightly dry/flaky scales on top of his head. it doesnt appear to be scale rot, etc. so i used a tiny dab of vasoline and rubbed it into the top of his head thoroughly. i was told by people on here that this was a plausible solution and it seemed to work for my snake. if yours' scale is sticking up i would try rubbing a dab of regular vasoline into the scale in the direction the scale grows so you dont peel up the scale any further. these flaky scales on the head are possibly from our snakes rubbing their heads along the screened top of his tank (if this is how yours is also housed). if it worsens or spreads, it may be symptoms of scale rot, and you may need to have it checked out by a vet. try my method first and see if that helps. =]

Dreamsnake 01-13-2011 10:33 PM

My snow scraped a patch off his head and had a little red scab, it took two sheds before he was back to normal. I think he scuffed his hide.

Bartholomew 01-13-2011 10:36 PM

I'd say its nothing to worry about.
Just keep an eye on it in case something happens.
My snake had something similar to that, But it was because either he was burrowing himself under the waterdish, and he was rubbing his head on bottom, or he was rubbing his head on the screen cover. But yeah. Keep an eye on it.

chamgam 01-14-2011 09:38 AM

Thanks to everyone for the quick respones; I appreciate all the help I get on this forum!!
I'll keep a close eye on him. I had noticed him up close to the top (screen) portion of his viv just prior to noticing it, so I am thinking he rubbed it on the screen. Everything underneath looks very normal and healthy.