CornSnakes.com Forums

CornSnakes.com Forums (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/index.php)
-   CS.com Guide to Corn Snake Cultivars & Cultigens (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=137)
-   -   Rules And Regulations - A Must Read! (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131562)

Susan 07-11-2013 07:30 PM

Rules And Regulations - A Must Read!

In order to make this cultivar and cultigen gallery as informative and easy to use as possible for even the newest of newbies, there are a few rules that will need to be followed. Please read them all before posting. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me or the other mods. As this forum progresses, there may be a few changes or additions, depending upon how things go.

GENERAL FORUM USAGE

1) Only a moderator can add a thread to this forum. This is to prevent duplications and other non-cultivar/cultigen/morph threads. The general membership is asked to supply photos, information and discussion as replies in those threads.

2) There will be one, and only one, thread per each individual/distinct cultivar/cultigen/morph.

3) The names of the cultivars/cultigens/morphs in their thread title will be listed in alphabetical order according to their actual genes, NOT by any of their trade names. For example, you will not find a snow listed as such. Instead, it's thread title will be Amelanistic Anerythristic.

Color combinations with pattern genes will have their own thread. This forum will use the name "diffuse" for that particular gene, and using the term "bloodred" only for the selectively bred variety of diffuse. For example, you won't find lavender bloodred motley, but you will find diffuse lavender motley.

Selectively bred varieties will have their own thread using their genetic make-up, if any, followed by "- Selectively Bred Variety - Trade Name". This is the ONLY time a trade name will be used in the title. For example, you will find listed: Amelanistic - Selectively Bred Variety - Candycane and Normal - Selectively Bred Variety - Miami Phase.

I know the thread titles may end up being quite long when multiple genes are involved, but this is to allow someone that doesn't know a particular trade name to still find what they are looking for as well as a combination that has multiple trade names from having a duplicate thread. Also, as the name gets longer, some short forms of certain genes (amel instead of amelanistic and anery instead of anerythristic) may be used.

4) There will be a thread that will list all the various name combinations and trade names for each cultivar/cultigen/morph followed by this gallery's thread title which will be linked to the actual thread. That way, if someone has only heard the term "granite" and doesn't know the actual genetics, they can find that name on the list and follow the link to Anerythristic Diffuse.

5) In the first post for each cultivar/cultigen/morph, the genetics, with gene representations (the actual thread creator's choice until a CS.com standard can be made unless a particular gene representation has already been made for this forum, at which point continued use of that representation is required), a list of various trade names and selectively bred varieties, and a description, hopefully with a history if available, will be written. Any help, especially with descriptions and histories, is appreciated. Just send me a PM.

6) *CS.com is a discussion forum so discussion about the cultivar/cultigen/morph is encouraged in the threads. HOWEVER, posts of "pretty snake" that don't contain any actual discussion about the cultivar/cultigen/morph WILL BE DELETED! Those types of comments belong in the Photo Gallery.

Also, this is not a "What morph is this?" forum. Those posts belong in the Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Forum.

7) If you see a cultivar/cultigen/morph without a thread, please let us know and the moderators will add it. But for the first several weeks at least, please be patient with us as it will take awhile to actually make all the threads.

PHOTO REQUIREMENTS

1) Photo Size should ideally be between 600 X 450 pixels and 800 X 600 pixels, but some slight variation will be allowed. This way, the image is large enough to be clearly seen as well as fitting within most computer screens.

2) Photos must be clear with quality composition and color. Photos that are out of focus or of poor composition or color will not be approved. This says a great deal. This is a cultivar/cultigen/morph gallery, a place where people can go to view the multiple varieties of corn snakes for whatever reason they have. Many will be here to help them in the identification of their own snake and if the photo quality is poor, making identification impossible, what good is it.

Adjustments of a photo to make the snake look like it does in real life is encouraged if needed. Obvious over-adjusting will not be tolerated. The moderators know what the various colors of corn snakes look like, even the really bright ones, but if your hand that is holding the red snake also looks like a boiled lobster, you've over-adjusted.

3) Photos must be taken by the individual posting them. If you want to have a watermark on them, that's fine, as long as it doesn't obscure the identification of the morph.

4) *Members submitting photos not meeting the above requirements will be notified in order for them to try to fix the photo. If help is needed to adjust a photo, please ask. If, after a 10 day period, the photo is not altered appropriately, IT WILL BE DELETED.

5) Hatchling, juvenile, adult, eye, dorsal, ventral and close-up photos are encouraged. If you have 10 examples of a morph and there is obvious variation between them, go ahead and post them all, but please don't flood a thread with 20 photos of the same snake taken at the same time. Showing a progression is fine, as long as there is plenty of time between the posted photos (hatchling, 6 month old, year and a half and adult...not one after each shed).

6) Photos uploaded to the forum as attachments are preferred, but linked images will be allowed. However, if a linked image is no longer functioning, the post it is in will be deleted to maintain the forum's appearance.

Susan 07-11-2013 07:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Alphabetizing the Thread Titles

This is actually quite easy. Simply click on the "Thread" part of the "Thread/Thread Starter" located on the left of the bar at the top of the forum threads. This will automatically list the threads in alphabetical order. You will need to do this each time you visit the forum.

Nanci 07-12-2013 05:41 AM

Susan, how did you decide to handle pattern morphs?

Susan 07-12-2013 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nanci (Post 1585175)
Susan, how did you decide to handle pattern morphs?

Mentioned under item #3 in Forum Usage...each color and pattern combination will have it's own thread, the term "diffuse" will be used except for the selectively bred variety "bloodred", genes listed in alphabetical order. Examples: amelanistic motley, caramel diffuse hypo stripe (short forms of certain genes may be used in the title when multiple genes are involved), anery dilute stripe Sunkissed.

And I don't think the various types of motley pattern should have their own thread. They are all motley and with the variation, where do you draw the line as to what is a Q-tipped and what is a pin-striped.

And with alleles, if there is a phenotypic difference between the various combinations, they will be listed separately. Ultra and ultramel, for example. But I don't think "het motley het stripe" should have it's own thread as they look just like motleys. Unless someone knows the genetic make-up, telling the difference is really just a guess.

And for "het markers", that can be a discussion in the individual cultivar/cultigen thread.

dave partington 07-12-2013 03:07 PM

So with Widestripe Tessera, Cubed Vanishing Pattern Motley, Coral Lavender Ghost Amel Vanishing Pattern, Sunspot Vanishing Pattern, etc... will these each have their own thread. or ?
I'm also curious about the trait/locality X simple recessive morph combinations, such as amel/copper, which, while kastanie+amel = mandarin, will copper+amel be given its own designation, or?
As for the loads and loads of coral/salmon variants covering lines of numerous breeders+selective breeding, will these all be lumped together, or will it be broken down into the 7 forms from poppycorns, the 5 or so from SMR, the 3 or 4 from BHB, etc, as all of these have their own unique looks & so forth.
Curiously,
dp

Susan 07-12-2013 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave partington (Post 1585204)
So with Widestripe Tessera, Cubed Vanishing Pattern Motley, Coral Lavender Ghost Amel Vanishing Pattern, Sunspot Vanishing Pattern, etc... will these each have their own thread. or ?
I'm also curious about the trait/locality X simple recessive morph combinations, such as amel/copper, which, while kastanie+amel = mandarin, will copper+amel be given its own designation, or?
As for the loads and loads of coral/salmon variants covering lines of numerous breeders+selective breeding, will these all be lumped together, or will it be broken down into the 7 forms from poppycorns, the 5 or so from SMR, the 3 or 4 from BHB, etc, as all of these have their own unique looks & so forth.
Curiously,
dp

I don't want to go totally crazy with all the variations seen in some selectively bred varieties having their own thread. I don't feel localities need their own thread as their genetics are the same as their non-locality equivalents, but maybe at some point, this will change. Since I would prefer to keep the various types of motley in the same thread, the various types of stripe would all be one thread as well since genetically, they are the same. If some are considered by most to be a selectively bred variety, I don't see a problem with them having their own thread, perhaps just calling it "Vanishing stripe" and all the various colors can be posted there since it's just the vanishing part making them different from a non-vanishing coral lavender ghost amel stripe.

As for the various varieties of coral/salmon, I'm not even sure if the breeders know exactly what is going on with them and why so many different looks. It might be akin to having a separate thread for all the different variations of normals or to use another analogy, to the average person, a chablis is a chablis and very few will be able to tell you which vineyard it came from and what year it is. At some point, we may have a thread for each, but at the moment, we'll not go that far. As it is, the mod team will be working through Christmas just posting the more "common" cultivars/cultigens!

dave partington 07-12-2013 06:39 PM

Thanks Susan.
I appreciate what Team Mod is doing, thanks you for the new sub-forum.

dave partington 08-21-2013 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan (Post 1585098)
1) Only a moderator can add a thread to this forum.

2) There will be one, and only one, thread per each individual/distinct cultivar/cultigen/morph.

Color combinations with pattern genes will have their own thread.

Selectively bred varieties will have their own thread using their genetic make-up, if any

Don said back in 2011 at the supper club get together that there was around 750,000 combinations of genes/traits/locality/pattern in existence in the CS trade, out of an estimated 7 million possible combinations. This was before scaleless, kastanie, rosy, upper keys, and a couple dozen other new baseline classics became widely available.

I've noticed on some other sites that anyone can start a new gene/pattern/morph combo thread. As your regulations state, only a moderator can start a new thread. I was kind of hoping some of the other members of Team Mod would have started some new threads by now. Is there any slight chance we could give that a try here, but if it doesn't work out, go back to the way it is now? I'm not getting any younger and have photos I'd like to contribute before I'm deceased. Thanks for any considerations. dp

dave partington 12-22-2015 09:20 PM

How do we add lava sunkissed mahogany , the collective red factors, strawberry christmas scarlet, crimson, etc. sub categories? Do we need to be a mod? there's so many variants and basic cinder, kitschy kastanie copper caramel calico conundrum base types (whatever a base type even is any more...)
this subcategory is highly incomplete, Im not freaking on you Susan,
Its been awhile, Rich Z, Nanci, Chip/ Mohr n the gang,
Can we please somehow add to the morph gallery: more base types?
thanks for any considerations
I dont have snakes at the moment and its really difficult to locate any really GOOD galleries of paradox, anery a, charcoal, hypo, dilute especially, yeah all that mess, i dont need a novel as an intro to the gene, can we have that yet now?

Dragonling 12-23-2015 03:20 PM

I've been so frustrated with the organization of Ian's Vivarium lately that I've been considering an attempt at creating my own gallery, but then I realize what a daunting task that is to tackle solo...

Not to mention a distinct lack of programming skills. :shrugs: