CornSnakes.com Forums

CornSnakes.com Forums (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/index.php)
-   Health Issues/Feeding Problems (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   When is a corn snake an adult? (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75016)

Mina 10-26-2008 09:18 PM

When is a corn snake an adult?

I have two male corn snakes.
The lavendar motley hatched 6/18/06, he weighs 202 grams.
Then snow hatched in early 06, and weighs 212 grams.
Are they considered adults now even though they aren't 3 years old yet?

tbtusk 10-26-2008 09:39 PM

Well, an adult, as in a corn ready to breed, should probably be a little larger. It sounds like you've heard the 3-3-3 rule, 300 grams, 3 feet long, and 3 years old. As males, the rule can be stretched a little more than one should for female, but I'm still not sure I'd call those guys adults. They seem a little small right now. Are you considering breeding, because that's the only thing I can think of that hinges on whether the snake is an "adult"?

Mina 10-26-2008 10:11 PM

No, I'm not considering breeding for the guys yet. The reason I was asking is I'm attempting to follow the "Munson Feeding Plan".
I was questioning the part that says an adult would be 170g or bigger, then he says to feed 20-30g of food every 7 -x days, then in a note at the bottom said adult males should be feed every 11-14 days.
I'm trying to decide if basically I should be feeding them 20-30 g of food every week or once every two weeks.
And yes, I'm aware of the 3 3 3 guide lines for breeding. My biggest female at 122g and a year and a half of age is no where close, even if I thought the gents were ready, which I don't.

airenlow 10-26-2008 10:54 PM

The "Adult (20-30g)..." is saying to feed an adult mouse, not that a 170 gram snake is considered an adult. My largest corn is 91g so I'm not really sure of the juvenile/adult cutoff either.

Mina 10-26-2008 11:19 PM

Actually, yes, it does. The last line before the note says "Adult (20-30g) every 7- x days (Snake = 170+)
I understood the part about the weight of the food, I was questioning the frequency of feeding specifically.

airenlow 10-26-2008 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mina (Post 718045)
Actually, yes, it does. The last line before the note says "Adult (20-30g) every 7- x days (Snake = 170+)
I understood the part about the weight of the food, I was questioning the frequency of feeding specifically.

I still don't see where it says 170+ is an adult corn but thats fine...

Here is a quote from Kathy Love's book...as you probably know they do a lot of their measurements in length not weight.

"We estimate that a very average feeding schedule in captivity for older corns-those 3-4 feet or longer-might be one or two appropriately-sized food animals every seven to fourteen days"

Mina 10-27-2008 09:44 AM

Nope, you are right, I'm an idiot! I was reading it wrong. I was thinking the adult in that line meant snake, and after rereading, I'm sure if was referring to the mouse.
I actually haven't read any of Cathy Love's books. I know I should. I will see what I can find at the next reptile swap.

Weebonilass 10-27-2008 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mina (Post 718198)
Nope, you are right, I'm an idiot! I was reading it wrong. I was thinking the adult in that line meant snake, and after rereading, I'm sure if was referring to the mouse.
I actually haven't read any of Cathy Love's books. I know I should. I will see what I can find at the next reptile swap.

I think Kathy's book should be required reading for anyone who is even thinking about buying a cornsnake.... when I'm Queen.... :)

I required it before I bought one for my 13yr old daughter and I read it even though I didn't like snakes so that I would know whether she read it or not.

As for the question, I have four '06s and I still think of them as youngsters. On the other hand, Kieran is an 2001, so definitely an adult. They all five get fed every 5-7 days even Kieran. He's not fat, so it's not hurting him to be fed that often and he expects it :)

Chip 10-27-2008 10:13 AM

Considering that they are males, I'd call those animals adults. Folks breed 2 year old males routinely.

Weebonilass 10-27-2008 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elrojo (Post 718210)
Considering that they are males, I'd call those animals adults. Folks breed 2 year old males routinely.

Of course, 12 yr old boys can breed, but that doesn't make them adults. In horses, a 2 yr old can breed, but they are not considered adults until they are four.... some snakes have bred as early as a year old, so not sure that I would consider that the guiding line to whether a snake is an adult or not. I think I would probably use the 3 or 4 year mark..