CornSnakes.com Forums

CornSnakes.com Forums (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/index.php)
-   Health Issues/Feeding Problems (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Bad/Incomplete Shed: What To Do (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56170)

Forcedexile 12-31-2011 04:34 PM

i'll try that, thanks Nanci.

dtfleming 02-26-2012 02:05 PM

Just had to use this today on my female Motley. Worked well after a 20min bath and she was nice enough to give me a love bite after :p

HermesMom 03-11-2012 10:12 PM

Nanci, having this info on here was a huge help to us... thanks SO much for sharing it. You know what's been going on with Hermes vent, well when he started going into shed the other week it wasn't a good thing for his vent troubles. It scabbed up horribly, his straining to "go" returned, we'd get it softened a little {with the cream} and it'd harden right back up. Per his last vet visit, we had to put him in water so he could poop and not cause further damage from straining, etc. Needless to say, having to do that gave him problems shedding even once he had "gone" and the baths stopped. We let it go a while, then we did this. It really helped him slip right out, right away you could tell how much better he felt.

icejd7 06-10-2012 12:47 PM

Once again, thanks to the great folks here I followed the instructions and within a few minutes, the leftover shed on the tail tip is gone. I placed a towel inside of the feeding bin with water, approx 83deg F. Placed "Diffy" in there and PRESTO !, the leftover shed came right off as she slithered through the towel.

Thanks again for the great info here !!!

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/pic...ictureid=12032

Sonicknuxshad 08-02-2012 01:00 AM

That's amazing.... Most of the time on the internet it says not to put them in for over a few minutes(like 3 or 4). I like this much better. My cornsnake Lily has lost the tip of her tail twice because of shedding. I live in Memphis and I know that that is no excuse but there are no reptile vets ANYWHERE. Plus I'm 15. My mom won't take me anywhere saying, 'Oh it will come off on its own, don't worry.'. Yeah right.

Nanci 08-02-2012 05:36 AM

It sounds like you need to take some proactive measures when your snake is blue, such as daily misting and a loose plastic wrap over the top of the viv.

Sonicknuxshad 08-02-2012 03:14 PM

I do daily mistings, and lately I've also been using a cool whip container with a wet paper towel inside of it(on the heated side of the tank). My male snake absolutely loves it and has never had a shedding problem, but the only time Lily ever used it was when she laid false eggs earlier this year. But I've never tried putting plastic wrap over the top with the misting. I can try that.

Fandango 08-23-2012 10:50 AM

I have never had this problem, but thank you. Now I know what to do, much better than some other idea I had read about.

EmbersMom 08-31-2012 06:01 AM

Thanks for this! It helps having things like this at 3am when your snake is giving you a bad shed. But what if he is being a little sh*t and defying gravity and refusing to actually be down in the water/on the towel? Ember has managed to wedge himself around the top of the bin/lid. the only thing actually in the water is the tail tip. UGH! Every once in a while he gets tired of constantly having to flex his muscles and falls down in the water, but then he gets back up in his high position. Brat. He's going to get the pillowcase treatment if he doesn't cooperate so I can get some sleep.

EmbersMom 08-31-2012 06:20 AM

Wow, just being in the humid environment of the water bin for 20 minutes and then crawling through a warm wet hand towel for a few mins, and Ember is all pretty again and smooth as silk! And so bonding to help your scalebaby shed (even if they are being a brat!).