CornSnakes.com Forums

CornSnakes.com Forums (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Chit-Chat Forum (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Whooo! Scored a great deal on a tank today! (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119274)

The Fereldan 01-19-2012 12:49 PM

Whooo! Scored a great deal on a tank today!

I just brought home a 29gal tank, plus lid, plus light, plus metal stand, for only 30 bucks. Now, the tank does have a small crack in it, but I'll be using it for the new corn I'm expecting to arrive tomorrow, not fish. The crack appears to be water-tight, though.

Anyone else snag a great deal today?

Quick question: I do want to keep the crack from spreading...would duct tape work? Or do I really need to get ahold of some aquarium sealant?

Shiari 01-19-2012 12:58 PM

Do you have a UTH and thermostat to go on the tank? The heat lamp will dry out your enclosure, and corns require belly heat, not basking heat.

The Fereldan 01-19-2012 01:15 PM

No worries, I've kept corns for years :)

I guess I gave the impression that I was planning to use the light to heat the enclosure the corn. The aquarium light is attached to the lid, I'm not using it as a heat source, in fact for the most part it's going to stay unplugged. I did think about switching out the tube for a red one for nighttime viewing of the snake, but I'm doing more research on that for awhile.

I got the UTH and thermostat, and I know how to hook them up. I'll take care of it tonight, the snake isn't arriving until tomorrow. And I'm not even using that particular tank right away, I have a quarantine tub with everything set up for her first. She's coming from a great breeder, but still, having had to deal with mites in the past, I can't say I ever want to risk it again.

Shiari 01-19-2012 01:19 PM

yaaaaaaaaay! :D What type of corn are you getting?

And to keep the crack from spreading... I don't know. I have a tank with a cracked bottom that hasn't spread in the two years I've had it. *shrugs*

The Fereldan 01-19-2012 01:24 PM

She's a 2008 Ultra Anery (proven). I plan to breed her to my Butter male, in hopes of making ultramels with some interesting hets.

dave partington 01-19-2012 01:45 PM

A crack in glass is simply a break which has not finished its destiny. There are some methods for filling cracks in windshields; perhaps finding a product/solution along those lines may work. Temperature fluctuations over time, sometimes much time, will lead to the glass contracting and expanding, resulting in growth of the crack. Tape may protect your pet from risk of injury on sharp edges but will not prevent the inevitable break.

The Fereldan 01-19-2012 02:22 PM

I'll have to take care of it then, I'll pick up some aquarium sealant when I go shopping tonight. Hey, if I get 5-6 years out of this tank, then I'll be happy. It was a really good deal.

tress29 01-20-2012 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fereldan (Post 1406203)
If I get 5-6 years out of this tank, then I'll be happy. It was a really good deal.

I bought a 75 gallon tank, wrought iron stand and screen lid for $90. The former owner had an iguana, so the lid has some slits where he used clamp lights. I'm looking into repair/replacement options, but what an upgrade from the 20L I've been using!