CornSnakes.com Forums

CornSnakes.com Forums (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/index.php)
-   Behavior (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Is He Still Hungry? (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145716)

rweighell 02-05-2018 05:20 AM

Is He Still Hungry?

I've had Rusty for 2 weeks now and he's just had his second feed.

After the first (waited 7 days for him to settle in) he stayed pretty calm and relatively still for a few days.

However he has been very active after his second (6 days later), so I wondered if I'm leaving it too long in between? Or if he's just comfortable?

He was about a year old when I got him, and he's about 12 inches long but I can't weigh him as my scales don't go that low!

Thank you :)

Twolunger 02-05-2018 01:24 PM

You didn't mention exactly what you are feeding him. If you are feeding him pinkies he can be fed every 5 days easily. I've got 4 month old corns that are already over 12 inches long.

rweighell 02-05-2018 02:35 PM

My measuring was a bit off first time around, he's actually about 16 inches.
And yes, he's on pinkies. I'll feed him with 5 day intervals and see how he gets on. Thank you :)

Karl_Mcknight 02-05-2018 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rweighell (Post 1731394)
I've had Rusty for 2 weeks now and he's just had his second feed.

After the first (waited 7 days for him to settle in) he stayed pretty calm and relatively still for a few days.

However he has been very active after his second (6 days later), so I wondered if I'm leaving it too long in between? Or if he's just comfortable?

He was about a year old when I got him, and he's about 12 inches long but I can't weigh him as my scales don't go that low!

Thank you :)

After a dozen twinkies, Oprah is still hungry too, but that doesn't mean she should eat another one. (LOL)

A year old and only 16 inches long???

Without weight, it's hard to say for sure, but I personally imagine a 16 inch corn snake weighing about 20 to 30 grams. That seems abnormally small for a year old to me, but I'll take your word for it.

If the snake is about 25 grams or more, you might be able to feed 2 pinkies of average size. Or a big one every 5 days.

The Munson Feeding Plan is loosely based on feeding babies about 13% of their body weight in food. (That's why weighing is important). So for example, if your snake did weigh 20 grams, you'd feed a meal weighing about 2.6 grams. This could be 1 pinky weighing that much or 2 that also total that much. Do not "Over feed."

regnar 02-10-2018 02:06 AM

The best method is to try and test. In your next feed, wait for only 5 days and see how your snake reacts.

rweighell 03-07-2018 03:55 AM

Thanks for your advice everyone, after a few feeds with 5 day intervals, it seems that he's just quite active in general, haha!

We've had our first shed (perfectly!) so back to normal feeding regimes now!