CornSnakes.com Forums

CornSnakes.com Forums (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Chit-Chat Forum (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   How long can snakes go without water? (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36097)

Kingetula 06-18-2006 12:45 AM

How long can snakes go without water?

I was reading another post about how someone left their Ball Python with a sitter (uncle) when they went on a trip. One thing about snakes that is so great is they really don't need sitters. If well fed they can go weeks and even months with out eating. (not recommended) but they can go sometime without eating. My question is about water, I think I read somewhere they can go with out water for long periods of time as well but can't find where I saw this. I know desert snakes can but what about other snakes like Corns?

I just think the Ball Python issue could have been avoided and if the person was only gone a few weeks or so the snake really didn't need a sitter. Even if the snake did, the sitter didn't have to feed the snake, just give it water. The post didn't say how long the owner was on vacation so...

How long can snakes go without water?

Shep151 06-18-2006 03:48 AM

Considering that EVERY snake I've received from shipping arrived very thirsty, I'd say not long.
This includes balls, boas, corns, ratsnakes, and rubber boas.
It does vary by species, as you stated, though. I've heard some suboc keepers only offer water once a week.

Cflaguy 06-18-2006 09:01 AM

Good query...

I never really thought about trying it so I can't really tell ya. I imagine they can go long periods if need be. I'm sure it happens in the wild. But it doesn't mean it is good for them. Columbus brought Galapagos and Aldabran tortoises to the Queen. They went months w/o water. Some lived another 60+ years, some died of kidney problems fairly quickly.
One might try to leave a big bowl of water. But I change mine every 2-3 days so that wouldn't work.
They do have dog water purifiers. They keep the water flowing constantly and have filters. May not be a bad option if you're going away. However, they are relatively small and a baby sitter would have to refill it.
Sorry, I'm rambling.

RyanR 06-18-2006 08:04 PM

well some may laugh... but when i went on vacation for 3 weeks.. i just baught a "self watering container" they use for dogs... the thing with a bottle attached to the bowl and it continues to fill it self.. i came home after 25 days... and it still had about a quartre thing of water left.. :)

MegF. 06-18-2006 10:39 PM

If you're going for a week or two you could most likely get away with leaving a large bowl of water in the viv on the cooler side to avoid bacteria growing. I imagine if necessary, a snake could go quite a while without water, but eventually they kidneys will be damaged. A great many imported snakes die from kidney failure from lack of water. Is there someone who could check every few days for you? The automatic dog waterer is a great idea though.