CornSnakes.com Forums

CornSnakes.com Forums (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/index.php)
-   Husbandry and Basic Care (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Eating Habits! (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57938)

beaniebopps 10-18-2007 12:34 PM

Eating Habits!

I'd just like to know what the general eating habits are of your corns. (this was inspired by the thread linking morphs and eating lol)

I've got one who has never refused a meal, always strikes at it right away and contricts it too, and then munch munch haha

The snow doesn't strike at it though, so i have to set it down in her feeding box and she calmly slithers up to it and eats it...

Twizzy 10-18-2007 12:37 PM

Good idea..LOL ..I should have added a poll to mine ..I 'm really curious with this and I'm anxious to see what some of the very large scale breeders have to say:) Thanks for the poll :)

diamondlil 10-18-2007 12:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've found hot zombie mice mean a constriction 90% of feedings for the bigger snakes, I set the thawed mice under a desklamp before dangling it from tongs. (I was using a hairdryer to heat the mice but found the 'jumping zombie' effect was too wierd). I see this as good exercise for the snakes
For the small snakes I just leave them in peace with their hot pinks, I'm more concerned that they just eat than do acrobatics

Rich in KY 10-18-2007 12:48 PM

When I present the pinky to my lil ones, I use chop sticks to hold the pinky, I move the pinky close to the head of the snake. As soon as the snake sees the pinky and starts moving towards it, I slowly move it away. This causes the snake to stalk it. I let the snake get close, and then it strikes. I have not had either snake constrict a pinky yet.

mike17l 10-18-2007 12:53 PM

Depends on how they are feed. If they are in a feed box, then they usually just start eating. If they are in the tub, it depends on the animal, some just start eating, while others constrict. It also depends on the food item. Live and PK/thumped and still kicking, almost always elicit a strike and constriction, while FT does less often. I like it when the large females constrict, as it gives them a chance to get some exercise. Thus is gives them a better chance of not being obese and giving me slugs.

Twizzy 10-18-2007 01:19 PM

All of my adults will constrict their prey and half of my babies will constrict their prey..I used to think it was the size of prey but several go after the pinkies by constricting.

I warm all mice with warm water and then just start popping them in each tank for the little ones..Tho with two or three I have to take the hide out or they will retreat and not eat.

Larger snakes go into feeding bins and then I dangle prey and it is normall snatched and cuddled for a bit then consumed:)

Nanci 10-18-2007 01:34 PM

I put the mice in the feeding bin, then put the snake in. None of mine strike or constrict. Zee usually bites his in the abdomen, sideways, and chews on it to envenomate it for 10-15 minutes, then moves to either end without letting go and swallows.

Nanci

sandybunny 10-18-2007 03:03 PM

My snake will strike and constrict if it's a live pinkie. If it's a f/t pinkie, he just goes to the head and starts swallowing. :) He doesn't seem to care if it's live or f/t. :eatpointe

Double het 10-19-2007 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beaniebopps
I'd just like to know what the general eating habits are of your corns. (this was inspired by the thread linking morphs and eating lol)

I've got one who has never refused a meal, always strikes at it right away and contricts it too, and then munch munch haha

The snow doesn't strike at it though, so i have to set it down in her feeding box and she calmly slithers up to it and eats it...

I miss the option ignore the food and go for your fingers.

Otherwise pretty much all of the above at one point or the other.

mele2511 10-19-2007 07:33 AM

My 5.5 foot corn occasionally squeezes the mouse so hard it will pop all over the place and it is proper disgusting.