CornSnakes.com Forums

CornSnakes.com Forums (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/index.php)
-   Health Issues/Feeding Problems (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Baby corn won’t eat (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147193)

Paylo1015 06-08-2020 07:56 PM

Baby corn won’t eat

Hello, on may 30th I bought a corn snake from a breeder at repticon. He told me she hadn’t ate since that Tuesday so I was ready to start feeding her that upcoming Tuesday. He said she eats live and frozen so I’ve been trying live. She has completely REFUSED to eat and she’s going on three week without food. I’m sooo worried please help :/

MeghanNicole 06-26-2020 09:12 AM

I am having a similar issue

We just got my daughter a baby corn for her birthday. We have only had it for 4 days. We bought him from petsmart and we were told he was 6 months old. They were wrong, he is only 2 months at the oldest. They also told me he hadnt eaten since they had him. They got him on june 18th 2020. So he hasn't eaten in at least 8 days. My daughter is getting worried about him. Any suggestions?

Has your baby eaten yet?

hypnoctopus 06-26-2020 09:38 AM

Here is a pretty much comprehensive list of feeding tricks you can try: http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/sho...Feeding+tricks

Remember to limit handling to only what is necessary until the baby gets eating reliably. Don't try to feed any more often than every 3 to 4 days. If you try every day, the baby will just get more stressed and be less likely to eat. And when you do try to feed, try in the evenings with the baby in a small container in a dark, quiet place.

hypnoctopus 06-26-2020 09:43 AM

And I forgot to add, what are your setups like?

darksidemike 06-26-2020 01:26 PM

updates?

I find thawing the pinky in really hot water usually works, another thing that helps is putting the snake and pinky in a small deli cup (with air holes) and leave it in its enclosure for half an hour.

MeghanNicole 06-26-2020 03:56 PM

I bought the starter 10 gallon tank came with 2 hides a water bowl and a under tank heating pad. They suggested pine chips for the bedding but I read they arent good for corns so I changed it this morning to ashen flakes. I bought a tiny clear tote for feeding, but he just wants to look out of it so i am going to try the deli. Type bowl that he was in for our trip home. I will wait until Monday morning to try to feed him again. I may try the dawn soap Sunday. We soaked the pinky in tuna last night but that didnt work, I cut the pinkys head off as well to try to get him to eat but that didnt work either.

hypnoctopus 06-26-2020 07:09 PM

Yes, definitely try the deli cup in a dark spot. I would put him in the deli cup, leave him alone in it for half an hour to an hour, then heat up the pinkie super hot, put it in with him and then leave him completely alone. Check on him in half an hour. If he hasn't eaten, reheat the pinkie, put it back in with him and then leave him totally alone in his quiet dark spot for the night. If he hasn't eaten by morning, toss the pinkie out and try again in a few days.

As for the enclosure, you were right to ditch the pine. Aspen is fine for them. Besides your hides, I would also add some fake leaves from the dollar store to add ground cover. You can also use toilet paper tubes squashed a bit flat as extra hides. The more clutter and ground cover there is, the more secure he'll feel.

MeghanNicole 06-26-2020 07:19 PM

Ok:) yes i forgot we did put some fake leaves in his tank as well:) I will clutter him:) ty for all your help:):) I appreciate it very much!

hypnoctopus 06-26-2020 09:32 PM

You're welcome and good luck!

MeghanNicole 06-27-2020 09:21 AM

I wanted to thank you again! I decided to go ahead and give it another shot this morning, I heated it up in very hot tap water and washed it off with Dawn dish soap. He ate it! I have a question, I know ages can vary, but he is 15 inches long and weighed 9.1 gram yesterday. Would he be roughly 2 months old?