CornSnakes.com Forums

CornSnakes.com Forums (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Chit-Chat Forum (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Whats the deal! (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88349)

Rich in KY 08-30-2009 12:09 PM

Owwww...I have only read a few posts, but already my head hurts!

kathylove 08-30-2009 12:11 PM

...Sometimes the best way of fighting is with your mind, not your bold language and criticism of the opposition...

Sorry - I do not understand this. How would you fight with your mind, unless it is through your use of verbal or written speech (bold language)? I don't have the power of telekinesis, lol! So not sure what else you had in mind.

Please explain further - thanks!

...But as someone who feels so strongly about their beliefs, it would be more effective to bring hope, and not divide those who disagree...
...So if you don't like it either run for public office, or campaign harder in 2012.

That is why I am ALWAYS putting in a word for Libertarian ideals. The Republicrats have things sewn up between them to keep others out (kind of like Coke and Pepsi - battle each other, but band together to keep outsiders out!). The only real, long lasting hope I believe in will come with the practice of the philosophy of personal responsibility AND freedom actually practiced (not just mouthed) by Libertarians. But unfortunately, few know anything about it due to the money and power wielded by those at the top.

ghosthousecorns 08-30-2009 12:11 PM

For me it was more the connotation that the word lynching has being the preferred method of the KKK and traditional method of murdering black people in the south, word used being "lynched" not "hanged". I didn't see whether lynching now or later made a difference the sentiment was already there

ZoologyGirl 08-30-2009 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KJUN (Post 928580)
WHAT IF he does become him in the future?

I suppose you could say that about anyone though
...politician or not.

Making the statement rather redundant.

KJUN 08-30-2009 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich in KY (Post 928582)
Owwww...I have only read a few posts, but already my head hurts!

I know the feeling....lol.

:headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang: :headbang::headbang:

Michael823 08-30-2009 12:12 PM

This is what I mean with the political nonsense. To compare Obama to Hitler or Stalin, and suggest that maybe a hanging would be in order in the future is simply out of line. I can't find any historical knowledge in that comparison, and find it so far beyond logic that it's no wonder why Obama won by that margin. And let's not get into sugar coating the "lynching" statement either. People know damn well what lynching is, and have no sense of mind using it here.

Hypancistrus 08-30-2009 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael823 (Post 928577)
That's not fair to pin my point to that. I was simply stating that in an election, the only deciding factor should be the majority, and the only way to fight back is by having more success in the next election.

Which has worked VERY well for the GLBT community. Case in point, I and MANY other GLBT folks I know were swayed to vote for Obama by his promises of things like overturning Don't Ask, Don't Tell in the US Military (hasn't happened) and pushing for federal "marriage" rights/ equality for us, while blocking attempts to constitutionally ban gay marriage. He seemed more friendly to us than Sarah Palin (yes, I said Sarah Palin... McCain was an afterthought, ready to keel over) was and a lot of us thought "Finally, someone who will listen."

Nope. The rights of the minority are trampled and ignored again by yet another Washington Politician. Woot.

Quote:

I would never intend majority rules on subjects like that, these are human rights, and I would never suggest majority voting on this. My cousin happens to be gay, and him and his partner are two of the greatest people I know. I consider their relationship as normal, if not more normal, than most others I see.
What you INTEND and what actually HAPPENS are often two seperate and far disparate things. The fact is that whenever we are "ruled" by a majority, the rights of the minority will always be disregarded. Sometimes it takes insurrection in order to change that... or a sheer reduction in political and governmental reach and power.

I don't believe any politician or government organization or individual citizen of this great country has ANY right to tell me who I may take as my life partner. It is, quite frankly, none of their damn business, and the collective "they" need to butt the hell out. At this point I want the freedom to live my life as I see fit, free of intervention from government officials of any party.

(Incidentally I find it amusing that a thread started to protest political threads has now turned into one! :grin01:)

KJUN 08-30-2009 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghosthousecorns (Post 928584)
For me it was more the connotation that the word lynching has being the preferred method of the KKK and traditional method of murdering black people in th south, word used being "lynched" not "hanged". I didn't see whether lynching now or later made a difference the sentiment was already there

Well, connotations in the receiver may have no validity to the sender. Realize I was talking about lynching in reference to a WHITE sheriff for his actions (rigged voting booths, shooting a balc guy via his deputies, etc.). So? Lynch means any group of mad people hanging on they feel deserves it to me. Nothing more.

Like I've alweays said, I am responsible for my meaning - not how you TAKE that meaning. I am firmly convinced that Susan would have used those terms to describe McCain if he was doing the same thing now. Projection of bad thoughts on words is something we all need to avoid in a text-only mode of communication.

Hypancistrus 08-30-2009 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael823 (Post 928588)
This is what I mean with the political nonsense. To compare Obama to Hitler or Stalin, and suggest that maybe a hanging would be in order in the future is simply out of line.

I am pretty sure that that was not a direct comparison on KJUN's part.

In any event, I, too, found the lynching comment to be over the top, however, I took it as a joke in bad taste, much the same way when I tell my department chair it's time to "get out the torches and pitch forks" and march on the Office of Science. It's not serious... it's an expression of frustration... not something one should typically say in public.

But freedom of speech works both ways. :shrugs:

Michael823 08-30-2009 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathylove (Post 928583)
...Sometimes the best way of fighting is with your mind, not your bold language and criticism of the opposition...

Sorry - I do not understand this. How would you fight with your mind, unless it is through your use of verbal or written speech (bold language)? I don't have the power of telekinesis, lol! So not sure what else you had in mind.

Please explain further - thanks!

Bold language comes out of emotion, and usually has no positive affect on changing someones opinion. Language like insinuating a "lynching", or comparing Obama to Stalin and Hitler.
Using your mind would be to realize that we have to see Obama's term through, and rather than trying to start some forum march, some would be better suited arming themselves with a plan to inspire people to elect differently in the next election.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathylove (Post 928583)
...But as someone who feels so strongly about their beliefs, it would be more effective to bring hope, and not divide those who disagree...
...So if you don't like it either run for public office, or campaign harder in 2012.

That is why I am ALWAYS putting in a word for Libertarian ideals. The Republicrats have things sewn up between them to keep others out (kind of like Coke and Pepsi - battle each other, but band together to keep outsiders out!). The only real, long lasting hope I believe in will come with the practice of the philosophy of personal responsibility AND freedom actually practiced (not just mouthed) by Libertarians. But unfortunately, few know anything about it due to the money and power wielded by those at the top.

I've heard your libertarian ideals, and you have been one of the few fighting with your mind and logic. I have read almost everyone of your posts, and have learned infinitely more about libertarians than I knew before, and find myself leaning that way more and more.