CornSnakes.com Forums

CornSnakes.com Forums (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mystic Exotics (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   Carpet Pythons (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113258)

MysticExotics 06-28-2011 09:52 PM

Carpet Pythons

3 Attachment(s)
I know some of you love the Carpet Pythons as well.....enjoy :)

Karma hatched last year on my 40th birthday :) I'm fairly certain Karma is a female, but I'm not 100% sure.
I got Karma when she was just 3 weeks old. She bit the guy I got her from when he tried popping her. So while she was latched onto his thumb, I popped her.
I'll get some updated pic of her fairly soon.

She was just 19 grams when I got her, & took a long time get get eating. She even dropped a couple grams in the beginning. I was worried about her, but she eventually started eating & has been a fairly good eater ever since. She's about due for another weight, but the last time I weighed her, was 2.5 months ago, at 63 grams.

Razz 06-28-2011 10:11 PM

very cute :)

MysticExotics 06-28-2011 10:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Next is Tyr, my Jungle Carpet male. I took him in as a foster/possible keeper, when someone couldn't care for her snakes after losing her job. I knew right away that I wanted him to stay. He's got a fabulous temperment & I have used him to helped a friend who has had a snake phobia.

Em Wright 06-29-2011 08:07 AM

Aww Karma is adorable!! More pics please? :p

SnakeAround 06-29-2011 08:42 AM

I love these creatures! I Had one but had to sell him due to me moving and rearranging stuff. Tough choice though :( Karma changed more then I would have expected, I though the brownish pattern would have gotten more red or lighter, not black?

Irish Eyes (Mrs.Z) 06-29-2011 10:30 AM

Ooooo.... your guys are pretty! So that's the boy who came with the girl I'm taking home? He's handsome. Although, I must admit, I don't think I've ever seen a carpet python who wasn't :-).

MysticExotics 06-29-2011 04:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Em Wright (Post 1328961)
Aww Karma is adorable!! More pics please? :p

LOL-ok, will do :)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blutengel (Post 1328977)
I love these creatures! I Had one but had to sell him due to me moving and rearranging stuff. Tough choice though :( Karma changed more then I would have expected, I though the brownish pattern would have gotten more red or lighter, not black?

I love these guys too!! I'm sorry to hear that you had to rehome yours.
I think the insides of her bands will lighten up, but I'm not sure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irish Eyes (Mrs.Z) (Post 1329013)
Ooooo.... your guys are pretty! So that's the boy who came with the girl I'm taking home? He's handsome. Although, I must admit, I don't think I've ever seen a carpet python who wasn't :-).

Thank you Irish :)
Yes, that is the one I was talking about. They did not come from the same breeder, but I got them both from the same person. (She got Tyr from CL before I got him.)

Here's a pic of Karma that I took today. I think she's pre-shed. Her shed process is so much longer than the corns.

MysticExotics 06-29-2011 04:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Next is Daray. He's an '09 IJ Carpet Python. He's poss het Granite. I have a female from the same pair, that is a '10 baby. I hope to prove out the Granite.

Daray has a bit of a 'tude, can you tell?

azhketh 06-30-2011 07:57 PM

Lol, I recognize that pose from trying to move around my baby boa last night, to see if he'd shed yet. He was not amused. XD Your carpets are beautiful, hopefully I'll have one this fall.

MysticExotics 06-30-2011 08:01 PM

Thank you :)
If you need help finding one, I know where to find them :)

azhketh 07-01-2011 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nwheather (Post 1329843)
Thank you :)
If you need help finding one, I know where to find them :)

Thanks, but I do have a breeder in mind. Only problem is the snake would need to be shipped and I live in Texas. Gotta wait for shipping weather. :cool:

Karoni 07-01-2011 08:42 AM

They are beautiful snakes! What are their temperaments like, generally?

Irish Eyes (Mrs.Z) 07-01-2011 08:20 PM

That female 'o mine is pretty! She's an '07, right? At that age, will the inside of her black bands lighten up, or will they stay pretty much pure black?

How much longer IS their shedding process than that of a corn snake? I've noticed that my boas aren't that much longer, but my BP takes forever to shed. The GTP has shed once.

snakewispera snr 07-01-2011 08:30 PM

Muhahahaha.... Now you're on the dark side, proper....
The addiction is bad in this one...... LOL
Fair play.... I really like the look of the IJ...

MysticExotics 07-01-2011 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azhketh (Post 1329953)
Thanks, but I do have a breeder in mind. Only problem is the snake would need to be shipped and I live in Texas. Gotta wait for shipping weather. :cool:

Who's the breeder?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Karoni (Post 1329988)
They are beautiful snakes! What are their temperaments like, generally?

Thanks! Temperment varies, jsut like in Corns. More of an individual thing. I have heard that Jungles tend to have the worse temperments, but mine has a great temperment. A couple of my IJ's are pretty bitey, but they're still young. My baby Diamond cross & Coastal have both been fine so far.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Irish Eyes (Mrs.Z) (Post 1330240)
That female 'o mine is pretty! She's an '07, right? At that age, will the inside of her black bands lighten up, or will they stay pretty much pure black?

How much longer IS their shedding process than that of a corn snake? I've noticed that my boas aren't that much longer, but my BP takes forever to shed. The GTP has shed once.

Tahlaia is an '09, from what I'm told. She's likely a mix of some sort, so I don't know how she will turn out.
Each snake is different, I think. She is blue-ish now, appears to be getting clear. I think she will probably shed within the next week or so.

MysticExotics 07-01-2011 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snakewispera snr (Post 1330244)
Muhahahaha.... Now your on the dark side, proper....
The addiction is bad in this one...... LOL
Fair play.... I really like the look of the IJ...

LOL ah yes, but this addiction is more limited by space. :)
I have 3 IJ's, an IJ Jag, a Jungle, a Coastal & a Diamond integrade. I wanted a baby female Jungle this year, from the girl who got me into snakes, but her Jungles are not cooperating...no babies this year.

This same friend is working on getting me into GTP's as well. :) I'll likely end up with one of her retired breeders at some point.

snakewispera snr 07-01-2011 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nwheather (Post 1330255)
LOL ah yes, but this addiction is more limited by space. :)
I have 3 IJ's, an IJ Jag, a Jungle, a Coastal & a Diamond integrade. I wanted a baby female Jungle this year, from the girl who got me into snakes, but her Jungles are not cooperating...no babies this year.

This same friend is working on getting me into GTP's as well. :) I'll likely end up with one of her retired breeders at some point.

Wow... That collection has expanded.... LOL

MysticExotics 07-01-2011 09:24 PM

LOL-yeah. I got Karma last July(when she was 3 weeks old),then two IJ's in August, took in the Jungle & IJ cross(that Irish is getting) when someone couldn't care for them anymore in October, then the IJ Jag in January, & I was only planning on the Coastal female, & was waiting for the right shipping temps, & made the mistake of looking at Luke's (Snell) babies again & added the Diamond integrade, & got them in April. The Jungle is the only one big enough for a full size cage right now. The rest are babies/young.

azhketh 07-01-2011 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nwheather (Post 1330251)
Who's the breeder? .

Viking Reptilia, he turns out some beautiful IJ Jags.

MysticExotics 07-02-2011 01:04 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Jaguar?? Here's my IJ Jag :)
She hatched last year & is poss het Granite

MysticExotics 07-02-2011 01:07 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Karma's parents...& more of Karma :)

Irish Eyes (Mrs.Z) 07-02-2011 01:10 AM

Oh, I love your IJ Jag. They're my favorites! Incredible looking critters, aren't they?

MysticExotics 07-02-2011 01:12 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Jezanna is a '10 IJ poss het Granite (she is out of the same parents Daray is, hatched a year later)

Another pic of Tyr, my Jungle

My Coastal baby girl

& my Diamond integrade male

Sorry for poor quality pics...the pics are from my cell...

MysticExotics 07-02-2011 01:17 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Here's a pic of the mother to my Jag

& I found better pics of my Coastal & Diamond cross

solo1979 07-07-2011 05:17 PM

Karma is so pretty! Sort of reminds me of my spotted. Would you ever consider getting into those? They are smaller which means room for more of them. :)

MysticExotics 07-07-2011 07:18 PM

Spotted Pythons are cute, but I doubt I will be adding them. The next species I plan to get is the GTP. I don't plan on breeding them, & I will likely only get one. (Unless my friend Julie has her way. LOL)

Rishi 07-07-2011 07:22 PM

Darn you. Now I want one. Or 5.

MysticExotics 07-07-2011 07:31 PM

LOL :) I know of some that are available....just saying
I've been told I'm an enabler ;)

solo1979 07-07-2011 08:06 PM

GTPs are beautiful, but they can't be handled much, correct? I have been looking at carpets here and there but trying to tell myself I'm not going there. Lol!

MysticExotics 07-07-2011 08:45 PM

From what I'm told, they are not as mean as people say they are. If you look up Rocky Gravely on iHerp, I'm hoping to get a baby that looks like Malachite or Flint.....love, love, love them!!

Oh, but you really should get into Carpets :)
They are awesome! My friend who got me into snakes in the first place, has been working on me to get a GTP. She says they're the ultimate snake. I will reserve my opinion on that until I actually have one. LOL
Carpets, are hands down, my favorite snake. I love their dragon-like heads, & the majority of them have fabulous personalities!
If you're looking for smaller snakes, IJ's tend to stay failry small. The first pic on this page, is of Karma's parents.

MysticExotics 07-07-2011 08:49 PM

I should add that some bloodlines do get quite big. I have some friends that had a male & a female IJ that were believed to be one fof the first wild caught IJ's or one of the first captive born. They were both about 16yrs old & both were huge! They were gorgeous (they both passed away not too long ago).

My Coastal female is from smaller bloodlines, which is good, because I now live in a city that does not allow snakes longer than 10ft.

MysticExotics 07-07-2011 10:09 PM

I won't be breeding Carpets anytime soon. I will be pairing Jezanna & Daray (both are possible het Granite) & I just saw a Jungle Jag(very cool!) , & will probably pair Aradia with Tyr when she's big enough. It will be a few years before my girls are ready to breed.

solo1979 07-07-2011 11:51 PM

Ok now I'm going to have to start doing my homework on carpets. Nothing can beat the beauty of corns to me but personality wise I'm really digging the 2 pythons that I have so far. Corns are like the jittery crackheads of the snake world while pythons are more like laid back potheads. Lol!

MysticExotics 07-07-2011 11:55 PM

Ah, but wait til you hold a Carpet Python, & see their awesomeness...you'll be hooked.

solo1979 07-07-2011 11:59 PM

So full grown what is the largest prey they need? I had pet bunnies so I just can't bring myself to even think about getting any snake that needs to snake on thumper.

MysticExotics 07-08-2011 12:02 AM

My Jungle eats med rats right now. He might grow big enough to eat large rats. I imagine that large rats are *generally* the prey size that they eat (or a couple rats if they get huge).

solo1979 07-08-2011 12:04 AM

Ok gotcha! Don't think I've seen carpets at the local show but can't say I was actively looking either.

snakewispera snr 07-08-2011 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solo1979 (Post 1332636)
GTPs are beautiful, but they can't be handled much, correct? I have been looking at carpets here and there but trying to tell myself I'm not going there. Lol!

Not so sure about 'can't be handled much'
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-4...8/DSC_0008.JPG
And I had to put the 'Kiss' up again
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Q...2/DSC_0010.JPG
GTP should not be handled until they are past a year old... Their spines are very easy to damage so any handling needs to be careful and gentle...
And a year old snake that has never been handled can be quite eventful when you have to be careful at the same time... LOL

Quote:

Originally Posted by nwheather (Post 1332648)
From what I'm told, they are not as mean as people say they are. If you look up Rocky Gravely on iHerp, I'm hoping to get a baby that looks like Malachite or Flint.....love, love, love them!!

Oh, but you really should get into Carpets :)
They are awesome! My friend who got me into snakes in the first place, has been working on me to get a GTP. She says they're the ultimate snake. I will reserve my opinion on that until I actually have one. LOL
Carpets, are hands down, my favorite snake. I love their dragon-like heads, & the majority of them have fabulous personalities!
If you're looking for smaller snakes, IJ's tend to stay failry small. The first pic on this page, is of Karma's parents.

TBH... I prefer Carpets.....
GTP are quite boring... They make you panic with their vivs and husbandry... Panic with their food (you haven't had poop questions until you have had a GTP).. Just generally on tenter hooks all the time...
Carpets on the other hand are like nails... User friendly and it's hard to get things wrong... Plus they sit like a GTP, so win win..... JMHO.

solo1979 07-08-2011 08:28 AM

Very cool! My can't be handled much statement was in regards to hurting their spine although I can imagine that a snake who wasn't handled much in their first year may not be the friendliest.

MysticExotics 07-15-2011 07:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I somehow missed these last two responses...sorry.

I have a feeling that I too, will prefer the Carpets, even after I (someday) get a GTP.
I kinda figured I would end up getting one "token" GTP & it would be a display snake.
We shall see.

I would love, love, love one that looks like Rocky Gravely's "Flint"!!