CornSnakes.com Forums

CornSnakes.com Forums (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Chit-Chat Forum (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Whats the deal! (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88349)

Carinata 08-28-2009 09:08 PM

Whats the deal!

I don't know if anyone else feels like this but I am really tired of all the political crap and I think that it is not needed on a forum with people from all countrys and walks of life. I am not being rude I just want to go back to snakes and not politics :shrugs: :shrugs:
Regards,
David :sidestep:

starsevol 08-28-2009 09:12 PM

David honey.....you have the behavior forum, the photo forum, the miss corn forum, the husbandry forum, the health forum, the feeder forum....

this one is called general chit chat...it means you can talk about anything you want to....even if it's not snakes!

Hypancistrus 08-28-2009 09:15 PM

So don't click it............

Roy Munson 08-28-2009 09:19 PM

Strange... I agree with ALL posts in this thread...

ceduke 08-28-2009 09:26 PM

.....so stick to the boards about snakes, nobody makes you read political threads.

Maize411 08-28-2009 09:28 PM

I'll agree with the winning party...ack..sorry my french came out for a minute there...LOL

KJUN 08-28-2009 09:31 PM

At 15, I didn't like political talk, either. That only changed when I realized how important it was in adult life.
KJ

LBoz 08-28-2009 09:33 PM

I was looking at this without being logged in, and at the bottom of the thread was a huge OBAMA ad. Intrusstring.

If one is uninterested in politics, I hear Farmville on Facebook is pretty hot right now.

kathylove 08-28-2009 09:34 PM

I LIKE political threads - as long as they stay civil. They can be very helpful, and provide perspective and information that I may not find in real life. I am glad there is a place here to discuss such subjects with members of my chosen community. But it is nice that there are also LOTS of other subforums here devoted only to snakes, even to just cornsnakes, for those who do not like to participate in these kinds of debates / discussions.

We can HAVE IT ALL here, lol! You can pick and choose what you like. What more could you ask??

Roy Munson 08-28-2009 09:43 PM

And I STILL agree with all posters...

Lennycorn 08-28-2009 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hypancistrus (Post 927294)
So don't click it............

You can click it to check it out but if the topic is not of interest, click out.

danielle 08-28-2009 09:49 PM

David I think this means steer clear of the political topics...one day in your near future you will get it and find yourself in awe of your own and others political ideologies I promise!!

tsst 08-28-2009 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roy Munson (Post 927326)

Spoken like a real politician Dean! Are you running for office? I will vote for you! :rofl:

Roy Munson 08-28-2009 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsst (Post 927338)
Spoken like a real politician Dean! Are you running for office? I will vote for you! :rofl:

Thank you. But if they hold another mod election, My hat will be firmly affixed to my head. ;)

Since this is general chit-chat, I'll defend David's right to express his opinion. It won't change a thing, and no one needs to read or respond to this thread either. Heck, if I had my way, this forum would be limited to ages 40+. ;)

tsst 08-28-2009 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roy Munson (Post 927350)
Thank you. But if they hold another mod election, My hat will be firmly affixed to my head. ;)

Since this is general chit-chat, I'll defend David's right to express his opinion. It won't change a thing, and no one needs to read or respond to this thread either. Heck, if I had my way, this forum would be limited to ages 40+. ;)

lol Hey wait a sec I see where your going with that, being only 39 you would not have to mod it?

Maize411 08-28-2009 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roy Munson (Post 927326)

I'll notify the media... ;);)

Roy Munson 08-28-2009 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsst (Post 927354)
lol Hey wait a sec I see where your going with that, being only 39 you would not have to mod it?

You may have missed a broader point-- one that could be considered hypocrisy (or irony, for the irony-lovers out there). ;)

Carinata 08-28-2009 11:59 PM

The reason I posted this is because I feel like there are so many other constructive things to talk about. Mabye someone could open a political sub forum?

Michael823 08-29-2009 12:23 AM

I don't think that David being 15 makes it any less of a valid point, and not everyone looks for a political identity as they age. I see the point, and it's not as simple as just clicking out. It is now an overwhelming aspect of this site, rather than occasional discussion. I only check into to this site as of lately, whereas it was a major part of my internet experience before. I can respond to most of the non-political threads in a matter of minutes, and have to dig for something really thought provoking.
It's kind of depressing, and almost suppresses the potential creativity this site offers. I see the need for political discussion, but it is more doom and gloom. Reptile enthusiasts are a problem solving people, and when someone has a problem, others are quick and eager to help out. The political threads don't reflect that lighter side of discussion, and is more of a one sided coin than a true enlightening conversation. The just of a discussion is covered in the first page or two, and then it becomes locked in as primarily a bashing session after that. There is much of the prepare for the worst mentality, but not equal hope for the best. It makes all the difference. I love to learn about new bills, possible outcomes, etc... And there are many educated people here to articulate what they mean. But when the negative outweighs the good, there becomes less reason to stay involved.

ZoologyGirl 08-29-2009 12:32 AM

Door number 2!!

...Oh wait...that's Lets make a Deal...

Carinata 08-29-2009 12:51 AM

Like Mike said it is overbearing to see threads like "Obama this" Or "media that" everywhere

The_Thunderer 08-29-2009 01:02 AM

There's so much I want to say here... but... Nah...

LOL.

ComoxCorn 08-29-2009 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snakemaster24 (Post 927423)
The reason I posted this is because I feel like there are so many other constructive things to talk about. Mabye someone could open a political sub forum?

You can simply avoid political threads. But I do think politics would fall into the General Chit-Chat category.:shrugs:

snakewispera snr 08-29-2009 03:30 AM

I don't join in the political threads, ever..... Not because I don't like them or because they don't interest me, far from it, I'm British and it's none of my business to join in....
But I do read them all, and it gives me an insight into your political minds....
Hell wouldn't you want to know why the most powerful nation on earth elects actors and halfwits to put their finger on the button..... LOL

KJUN 08-29-2009 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snakewispera snr (Post 927479)
wouldn't you want to know why the most powerful nation on earth elects actors and halfwits to put their finger on the button..... LOL

China elects actors?

Hypancistrus 08-29-2009 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KJUN (Post 927480)
China elects actors?

:laugh01:

Michael, I understand your points. There are a few things you need to realize. First is that with the economy the way it is, people are frustrated. I can say from my own perspective that when the economy was great and I wasn't struggling to pay a mortgage, I never thought much about the people on North Avenue who don't work for a living and get handouts from the government instead. But now I am struggling on a monthly basis to get by, and I see that and it frustrates me... sometimes it's just people venting.

The second thing is that there seems to be two main political groups here, with regards to the American members... there are the Republicans, who are well represented, and there is a HUGE number (more than I have seen anywhere else) of Libertarians, both of whom are going to have issue with a lot of things going on in America right now, politically. I get the sense that you and Ricky are most likely of a Democratic mind set... and there don't seem to be many folks here that are also of that mind set.

I can say that I personally have not noticed a decrease of threads that are NOT political in origin. I still spend as much time on this board as I have in the past, and I don't respond to all of the political threads... I am looking at photos, the week in review, answering questions in the snake-related subforums.

Rich has another site, Fauna Classifieds, that has all it's political stuff in a forum seperate from the rest of the place... however, it's got about 50 subforums of varying types which makes for a busy and sometimes fragmented style of organization. This was supposed to be about corns, and only corns, and general chit chat is where anything that is non-corn should go... that includes not just other snake photos and 18 threads about David's king rat, but lizards photos, other herps and pets, and all the rest of the topics (like politics and religion) that can't go elsewhere. It's not a system that's broken... there's no need to fix it.

glenhead 08-29-2009 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hypancistrus (Post 927491)
It's not a system that's broken... there's no need to fix it.

Except spider pictures.

Fergawdsake, if there are pictures of spiders in a thread, can we please REQUIRE it be titled SPIDER PICTURES or something? I freakin' hate spiders. I've opened a couple of threads because I didn't recognize a species name or something, only to see a

SPIDER

Roy, can moderators add things to a thread title?

lesleym 08-29-2009 09:07 AM

Yes, please be careful with those spider pictures! I had to rescue Glen and Rachel (the 12-year-old) from a baby jumping spider that was in the sink yesterday.

What a couple of wimps!

Hypancistrus 08-29-2009 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glenhead (Post 927515)
SPIDER

You know I actually posted a few photos of my pets on a cat forum back in June. I, of course, included some new photos of the snakes and titled the thread "Some new pet pics." When I went back to view the thread later, I saw that someone, I am assuming a moderator, had modified my thread title so that it now said "Some new pet pics (SNAKES)"

I was mildly offended by this, but it's the websites right to set its rules. I just don't like people modifying my words and not telling me about it. The few times I felt compelled to do so as a mod on fish geeks, I always sent a PM to the person explaining my reasoning.

I personally am hella freaked out by clowns. I also think that people who post photos of clowns need to place a warning there. Perhaps political threads also should have warnings. ;)

Roy Munson 08-29-2009 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glenhead (Post 927515)
Except spider pictures.

Fergawdsake, if there are pictures of spiders in a thread, can we please REQUIRE it be titled SPIDER PICTURES or something? I freakin' hate spiders. I've opened a couple of threads because I didn't recognize a species name or something, only to see a

SPIDER

:roflmao:

I sympathize with you, man; I really do. Just the other day I opened a thread, the title of which referred only to a species name that I wasn't familiar with. I opened it and was immediately assaulted by a pic of a zillion baby spiders. *shudder* ;)

But I have this nutty friend here who's terrified of birds, and I'm not about to edit bird-thread titles for her. (Sorry, hon. ;) )

LBoz 08-29-2009 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roy Munson (Post 927547)
:roflmao:

But I have this nutty friend here who's terrified of birds, and I'm not about to edit bird-thread titles for her. (Sorry, hon. ;) )

That's just wrong. :-poke:

ghosthousecorns 08-29-2009 10:24 AM

I've said a few times over the course of my membership here that I hate the political threads. Of course it is easy to say just don't click them. I try not to but sometimes the politics and the animosity sneaks over into other threads. I don't like them because they get too heated, they seldom stay civil and there tends to be a lot af bashing of the opposite party.
Most disturbing to me have been some recent things like discussing the possibility of states seceding from the union and a joke about "a good ol' fashioned lynching" of our president. It's like seeing a side of people that you wish they hadn't chosen to show publicly. Mostly amounting to a lot of belly achin' their candidate lost the election.
I have to agree with Snakemaster on this one, this is a corn snake site and there are plenty of other sites on the web out there that are just for politics. That is how I feel and have felt for a while. However since what I feel doesn't mean anything I am just trying my best not to click them any more. If I see there's a political thread I just try to skip over it and go "next" because when I do read some of the stuff in those threads it is just disturbing. I have just been participating in the forum less often and so have other people i have noticed.

tricksterpup 08-29-2009 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roy Munson (Post 927350)

of course you would.
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1.../gay_satan.jpg

Roy Munson 08-29-2009 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tricksterpup (Post 927602)
of course you would.

I need to hire a hacker to remove that pic from your hard drive (and anywhere else it may reside). ;)

jazzgeek 08-29-2009 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roy Munson (Post 927375)
You may have missed a broader point-- one that could be considered hypocrisy (or irony, for the irony-lovers out there). ;)

I'm just a fan. :P

Dale

jazzgeek 08-29-2009 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snakemaster24 (Post 927440)
Like Mike said it is overbearing to see threads like "Obama this" Or "media that" everywhere

I feel your pain. They're so overbearing, that I see you responding to each one. How do you handle that burden, and handle it so well?

Dale

snakemom1961 08-29-2009 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzgeek (Post 927686)
I feel your pain. They're so overbearing, that I see you responding to each one. How do you handle that burden, and handle it so well?

Dale

Lol. Excellent observation!

Roy Munson 08-29-2009 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzgeek (Post 927682)
I'm just a fan. :P

Dale

Hah! You're right; there IS a distinct difference...

Hypancistrus 08-29-2009 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LBoz (Post 927552)
That's just wrong. :-poke:

Is it you? Are you afraid of birds? This is a new one to me....

Drizzt80 08-29-2009 03:32 PM

:cry:

D80