CornSnakes.com Forums

CornSnakes.com Forums (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Chit-Chat Forum (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Amazing people (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143565)

Galataya16 06-05-2016 12:22 PM

Amazing people

I haven't posted in quite some time (life has been fairly crazy the last year and a half...) but I've been creeping in the background. I'm a creeper lol. The site isn't quite the same as it was when I was so active, but the people here are still as friendly, helpful, and caring as ever. It's still pretty incredible to see. I don't know that, in any other circle of pet related forums or groups, anyone is near as kind as in the herp world.

After some unfortunate events, I am snakeless, again. I sincerely miss my babies, every day. I never, in a million years, would have thought that I could have such strong, emotional feelings towards a snake. Nor my husband (who always told me it was the one pet I couldn't have lol!). I mean, don't get me wrong. I adore all of my pets and they are all spoiled rotten and I do everything in my power to assure they are provided with the best, no matter if it's a dog, a bird, a hermit crab, or a fish. But I didn't think that having a snake (or snakes) would be what it was. I figured it would be more like having a fish. I adore my fish, they are beautiful and bring me joy. But they aren't near as affectionate as other pets (minus their gratitude for the ability to stuff their faces or chase your finger around the glass lol). My snakes were close in comparison to my dogs. We adored them. Heck, my husband was completely won over by them. Losing them was very hard. I definitely miss having them around.

But I love seeing everyone's beautiful snakes! Adore seeing photos and videos of all the gorgeous morphs and cute faces. Which brings me to the point of the long, drawn out, nearly pointless post (haha). I just wanted to say thank you, to everyone in this forum, that have made it what it is. That has made my experience in the world of snakes what it is. I've made, what I consider to be, a few amazing friends here. It's fantastic to see the love, the help and care, the advice, given from this forum that is rare in so many other places. Even with the difference of opinion or practices, there is very rarely a rude or demeaning behavior. Everyone is helpful and kind. So thank you, again, for being amazing people. And thanks, if you made it all the way through this boring, windy post. Lol! Hope you all have an amazing day!!

albertagirl 06-05-2016 12:53 PM

I agree it's so rare, especially online, to find a place with such a positive, troll-less atmosphere!

But I'm heartbroken that you don't have your snakes anymore. :crying: I have no idea what happened, but I'm sure whatever it was must have been super hard for you. I just wanted to say I'm really sorry to hear this. :awcrap::awcrap::awcrap:

axis1 06-05-2016 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albertagirl (Post 1710926)
I agree it's so rare, especially online, to find a place with such a positive, troll-less atmosphere!

But I'm heartbroken that you don't have your snakes anymore. :crying: I have no idea what happened, but I'm sure whatever it was must have been super hard for you. I just wanted to say I'm really sorry to hear this. :awcrap::awcrap::awcrap:

Ditto!

That's GOTTA suck! I'm sorry also. The reason actually doesn't matter as it will suck anyway! That's like being a diabetic and owning or working in a gourmet candy store!! Or even getting sand in your motion-lotion!

I hope that you will be able to be reunited with them or that you'll be able to acquire new ones someday soon!!

Galataya16 06-05-2016 03:15 PM

BAHAHAHAHAHA!! Axis, let me tell you, I adore reading your posts. They never fail to make me laugh. Amazing sense of humor.

I have no idea what happened to Hades and Snobi. Went to bed and they were fine, woke up the next morning and they were both dead. No temp or humidity changes, they fed on different mice. No clue. Beyond heartbroken. Especially since there isn't an answer Bummed I didn't get to see their grown colors. They were beautiful! And Hades was always changing colors as he shed. Spec was fine. No issues.

A few months later I was a complete moron and was in a rush and left Spec's tank open. I normally check on them twice a day, even just a peek in on them, but it was such a busy weekend. I didn't notice until two mornings after that she was gone. I tried everything. Traps, mice out, everything. We never got her back. Still beat myself up over it. Still haven't torn down her viv. She was getting beautiful too. Seemed to be getting more pink/purple hued and more yellow. She was stunning.

I told myself for a long time that I just wasn't meant to have snakes. I've had ZERO luck with them since I got the first one. But I greatly miss having one in my life. They are such amazing creatures. If I do happen to get another one, I'm definitely buying a lock for my tank so I hopefully don't ever make that mistake again.

albertagirl 06-05-2016 03:39 PM

Wooooooow... that's like a worst nightmare come true. I wish there was anything I could think of to say that might even begin to help. How on earth could two of them just up and die at the same time? And then to lose your last remaining baby? I can understand how you could beat yourself up, I think anyone with a caring heart does that when anything in our care goes wrong, but at the same time I don't think there was any way anyone could doubt how much you loved them! I got mine at the same time and I remember thinking that you and I were much the same in how much we gushed over our babies and spoiled them. I hope, when you're ready, that you try again. I don't think it's fair to say you aren't meant to have snakes, even in spite of these difficult events. I'm not normally an overly sympathetic person, but my heart goes out to you.

Also, sorry, I know that wasn't the intent of this thread. I hope I didn't derail it too badly.

Galataya16 06-05-2016 04:40 PM

Yeah. It was pretty awful. I just wish I knew what happened. If it was my fault or just some freak thing? Not a clue.

I don't think it threw the thread off. Actually quite embraces the whole point of it actually. Quite amazing people. Thank you for all of your kind, caring words. I truly appreciate it.

Galataya16 06-05-2016 04:41 PM

Apologize for the redundancy...

Rich Z 06-05-2016 07:28 PM

When the horse throws you, the best thing to do is to just climb back on again..... Life does that to you all of the time.

Never give up, never surrender.

Genlisae 06-05-2016 11:13 PM

I am so sorry to hear of your snakes. That is terrible. I do understand wanting to know what happened. Two of my birds passed away suddenly a few months ago after having just been given a clean bill of health. Nothing changed, both were fine and then they weren't. So very puzzling, and then there is the nagging question: Was it something I did?

Don't give up though! Someday, maybe soon, a little scaley face will worm it's way into your heart. :)

DollysMom 06-06-2016 03:13 AM

I'm glad you are here. I'm glad you posted. It gives us all a chance to give you a virtual hug and empathize with your losses.

This is one of the nicest and most helpful forums I've ever found. Part of it is the leadership and part of it is a membership that thrives on support and kindness. Part of it is that people who raise up and love little corny noodles are special.

My Dolly escaped last fall and though I now have other snakes I love dearly, I still miss him and would be overjoyed to see him again. I too feel very responsible for not knowing that I needed to secure my lid better. My heart is with you. Though I have others, none is a replacement for a loss. The loss is always there, though time softens the sharp edges. I'm so sorry for your losses.

I definitely identify with loving them as much as cats or dogs. They are so sweet and each has their own distinct personality. They bring so much joy to my life and when I lost Dolly my life felt so empty. Among other things the routine of caring for them feeding-digesting-shedding-cleaning, etc. overlays my live wth gentle rhythm that when gone, is a profound emptiness.

I know, I'm rambling, but I hope you get the idea. Welcome back to the snake world.