CornSnakes.com Forums

CornSnakes.com Forums (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/index.php)
-   Health Issues/Feeding Problems (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Flaky Skin (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107115)

shevy_b 12-02-2010 10:01 PM

Flaky Skin

Hi,

I tried to see if this was already posted and I found a few threads but no answers.

I have an opal corn snake who is a bit overdue for a shed and has flaky skin (little flakes of skin every so often on a scale down his back). About 3 weeks ago he looked like he was in blue (although it is super hard to tell with him). He has since come out of blue but still no shed.

Should I give him a bath to try to hopefully help him start shedding?

Thanks,
Shevaughn

Lennycorn 12-02-2010 10:06 PM

I won't say so. Has the snake have shedding problem before to warrant a bath??

shevy_b 12-02-2010 10:20 PM

He's had a couple bad sheds when he was younger, but hasn't had a problem in a long time.

Should I not be concerned about the flakes then?

Lennycorn 12-02-2010 10:24 PM

No, I seen picture (posted here) with snake that were flaking too.

If it makes you feel better you could just wipe him down with a damp towel.

Room temp let say.

shevy_b 12-02-2010 10:30 PM

Okay, thanks :)

ratsnakehaven 12-02-2010 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shevy_b (Post 1235156)
I have an opal corn snake who is a bit overdue for a shed and has flaky skin (little flakes of skin every so often on a scale down his back). About 3 weeks ago he looked like he was in blue (although it is super hard to tell with him). He has since come out of blue but still no shed.

Shevaughn

Sounds like there could be a shedding problem there. Do you have a handle on the humidity in its cage?

insomniac 12-03-2010 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shevy_b (Post 1235156)
Hi,

I tried to see if this was already posted and I found a few threads but no answers.

Should I give him a bath to try to hopefully help him start shedding?

Thanks,
Shevaughn

Did you try a humid hide? My snake had some skin that was kind of flaking off... I was suggested to try a humid hide with some moss and she went right in.. In less than one day her flaky skin was all gone and she shed perfectly one day later.

shevy_b 12-03-2010 03:04 PM

The humidity is fine, but I'm going to try building a humid hide tonight, Thanks guys.

shevy_b 12-03-2010 03:05 PM

Also, he's more obviously in blue now. So hopefully he'll shed well soon and I can stop worrying.

Karoni 12-03-2010 03:34 PM

Good luck with your humid hide. For some reason, my snakes don't seem to like them. Someone on this site (can't remember who, unfortunately), told me to lay plastic wrap over part of the cage top. That does seem to help hold in the humidity. I also discovered that if I wet a couple of paper towels and wring them out a little and lay them in the cage (over the hides, etc.) that it raises the humidity about 30 percent. Sienna just had a perfect shed using that method, since she wouldn't go in the humid hide.