CornSnakes.com Forums

CornSnakes.com Forums (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/index.php)
-   Health Issues/Feeding Problems (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Strange lesion on scales, dark spots, damaged scales (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146452)

angelcornsnake 03-10-2019 06:49 PM

Strange lesion on scales, dark spots, damaged scales

4 Attachment(s)
Hi, I spotted this a couple of months ago but I thought maybe I caused it by trying to get her out of her natural wooden log hide although I never pull her out but sometimes she's rubbing on the bark . I was holding her today and j noticed tgat it was still there and I'm really worried. Any ideas?https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...6275582db5.jpg

Daisy June 17, a butter motley corn snake

Twolunger 03-13-2019 09:52 PM

I think a veterinarian is going to have to make a determination. It is possible for a corn that has just shed to damage its new scales, but that doesn't occur very often. There's obvious damage and I can't say what caused it.

angelcornsnake 03-14-2019 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twolunger (Post 1736666)
I think a veterinarian is going to have to make a determination. It is possible for a corn that has just shed to damage its new scales, but that doesn't occur very often. There's obvious damage and I can't say what caused it.

Thank you, so you think it's just damage and not an illness? I hope so. It could have been cause by that natural wooden log I had (shop bought) where she used to spend all day and would not even come out to feed. I had to try and get her out and although I was gentle and patient she could have rubbed herself the wrong way and scratches a bit.
I got rid of the log and she's got a cardboard box hide until I buy q hide which I can lift and take her out.

I think if it's not looking like an illness (or anything serious) I'll wait a month or so to see how it goes before going to the vet.

angelcornsnake 03-14-2019 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twolunger (Post 1736666)

Or... could it also be left overs of a bad shed (which she had two in a row the last two times). I have her a bath and everything but that didn't change. I'll get her a moss hide for the next shed.

Twolunger 03-14-2019 09:37 AM

I don't think the damage is the result of a bad shed. I'm hoping it's not scale rot, but only a vet can say for sure. When I used decorated vivariums I had wooden hides and climbing branches, plus large rocks and never had scale damage. Two things can contribute to scale rot, one being excess humidity, and the other is a build up of bacteria from dirty substrate. While scale rot is usually not seen in snakes kept mostly dry, it does occur, and does not clear up without treatment.

angelcornsnake 03-15-2019 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twolunger (Post 1736673)
I don't think the damage is the result of a bad shed. I'm hoping it's not scale rot, but only a vet can say for sure. When I used decorated vivariums I had wooden hides and climbing branches, plus large rocks and never had scale damage. Two things can contribute to scale rot, one being excess humidity, and the other is a build up of bacteria from dirty substrate. While scale rot is usually not seen in snakes kept mostly dry, it does occur, and does not clear up without treatment.

Thank you. I'm taking her the vet next week. Its strange because bad sheds means too dry but scale for means too humid! I've always picked up her soiling straight away. Not really anything to make the Vic dirty. I always feed her in a separate tank. She's clean in general. We will see what the vet says. I found another two little specks on her back. Tiny little brown things, under two scales. I couldn't pick them out. I'm wondering if tgat wooden log was not hygienic. It was hollow and she would spend all day and might in there

Twolunger 03-15-2019 08:30 PM

Do let us know what the vet says is the cause. There is a common misconception that spot cleaning the substrate equates with a clean vivarium. One defecation harbors countless numbers of bacteria. When a snake slithers through or over feces the bacteria are spread all over the substrate. I do spot clean and spray Healthy Habitat on the spot, but also dump all the substrate, usually weekly, and disinfect the containers. However, it is easier for me since I use a rack system and don't have decorations to contend with as in a vivarium.

angelcornsnake 03-16-2019 03:44 AM

I will let you know. Thank you. :) Yes, true. Its a 4" vivarium with a lot of substrate!!! It would cost a lot to do it weekly. Sometimes she doesn't even soil it weekly....