• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Need some advice about new viv

Jess12313

Hi everyone,I am new on this website and new to owning a corn snake I have a anerythristic corn snake called simba.He/she is a month old and was sold to me at just over two weeks old from a man whose snakes had 11 hatchlings I think they were sold quite early but he seems fine.Since I've had him he's ate one pinkie and is eating every 5 days,he seems overall a very healthy snake and is very relaxed when being handled.Today I brought a viv that is 3ft by 2ft for £25 from Facebook the man who sold me it told me it had tortoise in it before,simba is in a small terranium for now and has got a heat mat.My questions are how would I place a heat mat in the new viv as it doesn't have a glass bottom where as my current smaller one which the heat mat slides into another question is I don't know when to put simba in his big viv as I've read hatchlings/young snakes can get scared in big vivs.Would a heat light be better than a heat mat for him and if so what lights would you recommend,thank you for any help.

Corns really don't need lights as long as you have a mat and enough sunlight during the day so that they know what time of day it is!! Is the new Viv made of wood? Can you take a picture of it?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Corns really don't need lights as long as you have a mat and enough sunlight during the day so that they know what time of day it is!! Is the new Viv made of wood? Can you take a picture of it?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Unfortunatly I can't get a picture to appear on here but the viv has a wooden bottom and no glass except for the doors on the viv I asked a local reptile shop and he said I need a ceramic heater.How long should I wait before putting simba in the man said a year.

Yikes, forget the ceramic heater advice. There's no hurry to move him into the larger viv. You don't state the size of his current viv, but you will know when he needs to be moved.
I'm curious about the statement that the heat mat slides into the current viv. Are you saying the mat is inside the viv? Is it thermostatically controlled so it doesn't get too hot?
If I had the wooden viv I would cut the bottom out, leaving about one inch all around the edges, and have your local hardware or glass shop cut a full size piece of glass to put inside the viv. They can usually round the glass edges too. Use silicone sealer to affix the glass, then any heat mat can be placed under the glass bottom. With a thermostat...

Back