CornSnakes.com Forums

CornSnakes.com Forums (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Anerythristic X Caramel??? (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18473)

SickPyth7 02-23-2005 11:13 PM

Anerythristic X Caramel???

Everyones probably getting sick of me asking about different combo's! Well after learning from this forum about the results of breeding a Charcoal to an Anerythristic...I decided not to do that. I'm wondering whether or not breeding a Caramel to a Anery or Charcoal would be better? Has is been done? and if so...does anyone have pictures?

Sorry for being a nag...but I love finding out what makes what. This forum is THE best!!!

Thanks for anyones help:)

Joejr14 02-23-2005 11:31 PM

Well, Anery x Caramel is going to give you normals het for anery and caramel.

I believe you're asking what you get when you have a snake that is homozygous for both traits. Anery overrides caramel.

SickPyth7 02-25-2005 09:42 PM

Well that stinks if Anery overrides Caramel. But how? Anerythristic is lack of red pigment...so it allows yellow. Caramel is high in yellow pigment. I would think it would be an anery with more yellow! I'm not the expert but I would love to know how it would works.

Thanks

Sisuitl 02-25-2005 10:35 PM

I think Rich tried that, somehow he was envisioning a black and yellow corn which would look really cool. If I remember right though they didn't come out like he wanted..

Joejr14 02-26-2005 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SickPyth7
Well that stinks if Anery overrides Caramel. But how? Anerythristic is lack of red pigment...so it allows yellow. Caramel is high in yellow pigment. I would think it would be an anery with more yellow! I'm not the expert but I would love to know how it would works.

Thanks

You ever seen any red on a caramel before?

I believe that I've read something that Rich wrote that when he discovered the caramel gene he thought about calling it anery C (to go along with A and B (charcoal)) but decided against doing so and actually came up with a name.

Rich has said that he's got double homozygous animals and that caramel is overridden by anery.

I've never done it, so I'm only repeating what he's said a few times.

SickPyth7 02-26-2005 10:11 PM

Well...it would have been nice If Rich's vision of a Black and yellow corn worked!

Rich Z 02-26-2005 10:36 PM

Well, I have produced Anerythristic Motleys from Caramel Motley parents, so those Anerythristic Motleys HAVE to be homozygous for Caramel. And they are much BLACKER then typical Anerythristic Motleys I have had and seen. No yellow at all on at least the one adult I have. Completely the opposite of what I would have expected.

But then again, yes I did have a project at one time breeding Anerythrism and Caramel together to try to get yellow corns with black blotches on them, and the results were the same as I saw here: Pretty much completely lacking in yellow. So maybe I SHOULD have expected that out of those Anerythristic/Caramel Motleys. BTW, I believe I have some Caramel Motleys her for Anerythrism still remaining if anyone else wants to pursue this project. These were the result of breeding a Caramel Motley to that adult Anerythristic/Caramel Motley I have. I just wanted to be SURE that it was also homozygous for Caramel...... And yes, I got ALL Caramel Motleys as offspring, as best I can recall.

SickPyth7 03-01-2005 07:57 PM

Thank you Rich for the info. Just as you said....I myself pictured a yellow snake with black blotches, its just to bad it doesn't seen to work.

Thanks Again