• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Pre new to it all

barett

Hello. I have owned many pets before. Never a snake. I am a bit nervous about the prospect. 2 main reasons......the biting and the escaping. I am excited to learn more and more and more

I wouldn't be concerned with biting. It's very uncommon with corn snakes and even then a bite from an adult is not very painful at all. One of our adults struck at me once when I was feeding her and while it left a few pin pricks in my hand it wasn't painful at all.

That's what I read. Makes me feel better. What is the best enclosure. I like my enclosures to be very nice.

Hello. I have owned many pets before. Never a snake. I am a bit nervous about the prospect. 2 main reasons......the biting and the escaping. I am excited to learn more and more and more

If you buy a young corn snake and handle it frequently you won't be bitten. I have been bitten many times, usually by a corn that had a feeding response and I wasn't quick enough to avoid the bite. I can't say it's not painful though. I usually have a nice bloody outline of the corn's mouth on my finger.

Oh ya that makes sense. I am not too worried. Cant be worse than the cats bite or scratch hey? I am going to a couple of reptile shows in 2019 in Edmonton. I am hoping to hold some there. I have NEVER held a snake before. We have tonnes of garter snakes here, but I dont hold them...they musk and its gross.

Corns seldom bite in defense, and when they do it's usually a quick strike to let you know they don't want to be bothered. Most of the time it's all show. If they do connect it's so fast that you are more surprised than anything else. I have a young pair of Pueblans that musk every time I pick them up. I don't know if they will ever calm down like a corn.

What enclosure would you all recommend. I like to use enclosures that make the animals feel at home, comfortable, big enough, and pleasing. Also something where the snake is secure in there. Id hate for an escape.

I have too many snakes for single vivariums, so use a rack system, but if you look back a few days, in the new member section, a new member set up a vivarium for Rusty that was sweet.

Back