CornSnakes.com Forums

CornSnakes.com Forums (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   How big can corn snakes grow? (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50105)

Christiaan 04-24-2007 07:30 AM

How big can corn snakes grow?

Hi

Here is a question for everyone. - How big can corn snakes grow?

I have a Normal Corn snake that is 1.6m long and recently found out that he is about 2.5 yrs old. Is that a good size for a male this age? At what age are they fully grown?

What are the ages and lengths of your older snakes?

Jay@PJCReptiles 04-24-2007 11:52 PM

Well a Cornsnake that is between 2-3 years old is called an adult but a snake never stops actually growing for it's entire life. It is true that they don't grow as fast when they are older but never the less they are growing no matter how small the gain. Our biggest Corn is over 5' 6" (5 1/2 feet) and over 1000 grams but he would be considered not the norm. They generally get between 3 -4 feet and 500 - 600 grams. Hope this helps.
Jay :cool:

Tracee 04-25-2007 08:31 AM

Do a search for 'Hercules' and you'll see how big they can grow.

They can get bigger. Mine is about 5' and over a kg in weight. It's quite rare they surpass Jay's guidelines though :)

Nanci 04-26-2007 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PJCReptiles
WOur biggest Corn is over 5' 6" (5 1/2 feet) and over 1000 grams but he would be considered not the norm. They generally get between 3 -4 feet and 500 - 600 grams. Hope this helps.

Jay! Do you have a picture of him??

Nanci

Jay@PJCReptiles 04-26-2007 08:06 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Yes I do Nanci. Here are a couple that are over a year old. I guess I have to get some newer ones. The last picture is of one of our daughters holding him. She is 5' 3" and he is longer then she is tall. I will get a better picture with an exact measurement as well. I will use the Snake Measuring program I have. Well here is "Zuko" our freak of nature. I think he must have hatched next to a nuclear power plant or something. :grin01:

Nanci 04-26-2007 08:14 PM

Wow, he's pretty! I can't imagine a cornsnake longer than I am tall.

Nanci

suecornish 04-26-2007 09:01 PM

Well, my snakes better not get any bigger than the vet I found. She said she loves snakes but won't treat any hot ones or ones bigger than she is and she is about 5'5".

Smokey measured out to be 4'3" March 6th and he is 8 yr.

:crazy02:

mbdorfer 04-26-2007 09:11 PM

As far as I know, the record still stands at an even 72" and is quite old.
With human infringement on habitat, and so called "progress" these large snakes are a thing of the past. If you have a corn over 5', my hat's off to ya!
Oh, and Jay, that's a sweet corn! :cheers:

suecornish 04-26-2007 09:26 PM

It is rare to see a large snake in the wild. The largest I saw was a black rat (I think, it was black). Up in the Dunbar region of WI in 1981. It was a thick as my arm and as long as a car. I was sitting on wooden porch steps when I heard the leaves rustling under the porch. I got quiet and watched. The head came out from under the first step and it was as big as my hand, and then the body just kept coming and coming. I was able to measure it as it went down the dirt driveway next to my car, 72 Chevy Impala, and as the head was passing the rear tire the tail was passing the front tire.

I have never seen a snake that big in the wild since.