CornSnakes.com Forums

CornSnakes.com Forums (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/index.php)
-   Health Issues/Feeding Problems (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Completely at a loss (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129970)

Myca 04-15-2013 01:35 AM

Completely at a loss

Refused second feed. I have tried the brown bag, scenting with a drop of rat urine, making sure everything was warm, the zombi dance. I am considering finding a snake expert and handing her over. I really didn't expect it would be this difficult to feed a hatchling.

cornsnakeforsale_com 04-15-2013 10:46 AM

Well, it shouldn't be very difficult and typically isn't. Hatchlings sometimes won't eat though, but any good breeder will ensure that the snake is a reliable eater before placing it in another home. Given that this is the situation though there are things you can do to get it started.

1. Verify that the snake's environment is healthy. Double check.
2. Search on these forums for the many many threads talking about how to get problem eaters going. Some will never eat. Most bad eaters just need a little kickstart.

Guruofchem 04-15-2013 01:32 PM

Other things to try:

1) Braining - expose innards to release more smell from head or belly
2) Warm up with hair dryer before feeding (gets it dry and warm, sometimes helps)
3) Wash pinky in Dawn soap (no idea why this works, but some people swear by it)
4) Boiling - give the pinky a dip in boiling water before offering it
5) Rub a gecko on the pinky - sometimes lizard scent triggers a feed response when mice don't

Is shedding an issue? They will often refuse if a shed is imminent, but typical signs may be hard to see on a small snake, especially if the colors are light as yours are.

Keep at it - once you break the code, things will be fine...

airenlow 04-15-2013 01:42 PM

I would actually try boiled first.

Zombiegirl 04-15-2013 02:04 PM

There are several good posts on here about getting problem feeders going, as stated above...I know Nanci has a few that are awesome...good luck, hope you can get the little one going =/ I've never had a problem feeder corn...my rubber boa gave me a bit of trouble until I changed her substrate.

diamondlil 04-15-2013 02:21 PM

I'd advise not trying lots of tricks at once. If everything about the husbandry is right (stable temps, lots of hiding places, minimal disturbance) then either a live pink or 'boiled' is the first thing I'd try.
At least 5 days after the last attempt, if you want to try boiled, thaw a tiny pink. Then pour just boiled water out of the kettle over it, until the pink goes pale and rubbery. Whilst it's still hot, drain off the water, pop the pink in the feeding tub with your hatchling and leave undisturbed for a few hours or overnight. Good luck!

Alicia P 04-15-2013 02:25 PM

Get a small disposable container that your baby will just fit in, similar to this, all scrunched and coiled up is good. Poke a couple holes in the side and top for air. Thaw the pinky on a dish in the fridge for a few hours or in a baggie in water. After the pinkie is thawed, put a cup of water in the microwave for a couple of mins to get it boiling hot. Put your baby in the little container and loosely put the top on, hold it so your baby doesn't slither off ;) swish the pinky in the hot water for 30-45 seconds, it should get all pale looking. Plunk the pinky into the little container and put the top all the way on, cover with a dish towel or if your house is noisy a pillow, then walk away for an hour or so.

Also it may be helpful to try feeding later at night, around 9-10pm.