CornSnakes.com Forums

CornSnakes.com Forums (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/index.php)
-   Health Issues/Feeding Problems (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   What will/or do you do with a dead snake? (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3914)

abell82 11-15-2002 09:26 PM

What will/or do you do with a dead snake?

Just curious what everyone does or plans to do with their snake when it dies.

Axe 11-16-2002 12:02 AM

I guess it would depend upon the reasons for its death.

If it just got to be really old, and died a natural death of old age, then I dunno, maybe I'd have it stuffed and mounted as a nice display piece :)

If it contracted the adenovirus or some other nasty disease currently attempting to be understood, probably donated to whichever body was doing the best work on the subject.

If it was an otherwise healthy snake, seemlingly dying for no reason whatsoever, I'd probably have a necropsy done on it to ensure none of my other animals were at risk - in which case they'd dispose of the body. Although, I guess technically that could class as given to medical science.

Other than that, probably buried - that ol' circle of life.

Susan 11-16-2002 08:16 PM

Any snakes that I've had die from a non-illness (such as hatchlings that never ate, etc.) get "recycled" into nature on my 5 acres. Ill snakes that have died get put in plastic and get cremated along with the surgical "waste" at the vet hospital I work at. If I didn't have that option, plastic bag and trash would be my next choice.

Rainey 11-20-2002 12:45 AM

I think I'll die along with them when either of Katie or Kassie die! So put them in my casket!

Gregg 11-20-2002 10:11 AM

Would dressing it, rolling it in flour, and frying it up with some scrambled eggs, biscuits, and gravy be in bad taste?:D

Susan 11-20-2002 08:59 PM

Well, I did eat rattlesnake once, and it wasn't bad at all! Corn snake should taste about the same, if not better since we know what our snakes have been eating. But then, I've named all my snakes, and it is harder to eat something that you've named. Oh, and the rattlesnake (big Eastern Diamondback...about 6 1/2 foot long) was killed by a neighbor when his wife found it in her laundry room. I grew up believing, "if you kill it, you eat it" so my husband skinned and cleaned it, seasoned it, wrapped it in aluminum foil and baked it. Tastes alot like a very mild fish, and once you get the hang of getting the meat along the top/spine, and not the rib bones, it was a very interesting appetizer.

dartguy 11-21-2002 10:34 AM

LMAO

gregg - thats the funniest thing I've heard in a long long damn time - HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

Gregg 11-21-2002 04:47 PM

Thanks Dartguy

I'd like to share a story that you and Susan might apreciate. This ain't quite as funny, but you had to be there--a good example of instant karma in my book.

The first time my brother cooked snake it was a copperhead. The poor thing was only wanting to cross the road, but my brother jumped out and dispatched it with a short tire tool. He brought it home, skinned it, and got the skillet ready. Unfortunately, my brother must of forgot about a snake being all nervous system 'cause, when it hit that hot skillet, it slithered right out, across the stove, and down onto the floor. My brother picked it up and put it back into the skillet. Again, it slithered out.
It wasn't until my brother realized he should cut the beast up before he had control of the situation.

So remember: if you're going to cook snake, cut it up into pieces first. :D

Now, I've had only three snakes die so far, all babies. I just put them into my compose. I think, however, if one of my snakes dies after they've reached adulthood, I'd like to have them preserved somehow--maybe have their hides tanned--so I marked preserved. Maybe, if they're freeze-dried, then, like coffee, they could come back to life if I just added water?

little twiglet 11-23-2002 02:00 PM

how could anyone put there snakey in the trash!! so so so wrong

little twiglet 11-23-2002 02:00 PM

how could anyone put there snakey in the trash!! so so so wrong