CornSnakes.com Forums

CornSnakes.com Forums (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/index.php)
-   Behavior (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Lethargy?? (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145367)

Moni99c 09-02-2017 05:14 PM

Lethargy??

Well I've had my Nicky (13 y/o amel cornsnake) for a little over 4 months. About 3 weeks into owning her we noticed squeaking and huffing from her when we handled her.

We booked a vet appointment (her previous owner had never brought her to the vet before) they told us that she had a respiratory infection. So we started giving her antibiotics, a needle every 3 days for a total of 12 needles.

She did not improve with the squeaking and huffing and I felt she was increasingly becoming scared of us. She stopped coming out and stayed in her cool hide anytime we were around (I don't even know if she was coming out at night) the vet then suggested a 400$ treatment that sounded awfully stressful for her to find the exact cause of illness in her. We stopped doing the needles and she stayed the same as she was before them anyway..

She eats like a champ (a frozen adult mouse every 9 days) she poops twice after eating, she drinks fine. We try to handle her at least 10-20 minutes every 2nd day unless she's eaten or shedding. Her warm side hovers at 85-90 degrees Fahrenheit and her cool side at 75-80. Her humidity is usually at 45-50%. She's shed fine the first 2 times but this shed is taking particularly long. She stays in her cool hide and that's about it. She's in a 36x18x12 size tank she was in a 28x12x18 when we first got her.

I'm so worried and I'm torn between so I stress her out and potentially have the vet figure out what's wrong or let her be and just keep doing what she's been doing??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Karl_Mcknight 09-02-2017 08:36 PM

she probably stays in the cool hide because it's more comfortable. Snakes like to hide anyway, so no big deal there. The warm hide may be a bit too warm, 90 degrees is a bit much, however since she is battling a respiratory infection that's probably a good temp. When she gets well though you should drop it back to about 85 and the cool side down to about 75. Corn snakes are not tropical and don't need high heat like some exotic species do. People worry about "Stress" in snakes way too much. I'd think being sick would be more stressful than being well. Stopping treatments in the middle and not seeing it through could make the snake worse. Just like if you are sick and a doctor prescribes an antibiotic and you stop half way through. (That's how antibiotic resistant bacteria "Superbugs" comes to be.)

Moni99c 09-03-2017 02:29 PM

Thank you!! Yes the vet said to raise the temp while she's sick. We have another vet appointment booked this week and we'll have a better picture of what's wrong.. thank you for the advice, I really appreciate it!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DollysMom 09-03-2017 10:26 PM

Best wishes. I hope she heals soon. I also adopted a 13 yo corn snake that is now a 14 yo. These older snakes are beyond awesome. The are survivors and I'm glad when they find good homes like yours!