View Single Post
Old 04-15-2011, 11:20 PM   #7
kathylove
As far as I know, Gino got all of his bubblegum rat snakes (including the striped gene) from me. The striped actually originated from a wild caught baby glades / yellow rat caught in Belle Glade in 1979 that we raised and later proved out.

Bubblegums ARE black rats - with some yellow and glades thrown in. Mine were more glades / yellow than black for the most part. But a particular specimen COULD be mostly black rat, or mostly yellow or glades, depending on what breeders have done with the line recently. They are quite variable. Pure black rat amels are also quite variable. Most of my bubblegums had a somewhat different color, so I suspect that this one is either pure black rat, or has more black rat than most of my line did. BUT - it has been quite a few years since I kept them. Because they are all only subspecies of each other, somebody could have easily bred one of my bubblegums to a black rat (amel or otherwise) and is now producing animals that are far higher black rat percentage than mine were a generation or two ago.

Basically, my guess is that it is higher percentage black rat than my bubblegums were, but that unless you do some DNA tests, there is no way to know for sure, IMO.