View Single Post
Old 09-08-2012, 07:29 PM   #24
ecreipeoj
So Yellow Factor is now Yellow Jacket? That is better than Yellow Disease, but they will both bite you if you don't like them. I actually like the affects of Yellow Factor on some morphs, just not in my Lavas, Bloodreds, Amels or Strawberries.

We always hear people say things like we are talking about here is just natural variation, which normally is not the case at all, BUT I can see how my Yellow Factor ACR 2087 and your example of a Buf, that is linked to the Originators line, are similar, but with natural variation.

Both have a clean background color that is completely yellowish. Both have slightly oranger blotches than most wild caught Corns and both are dominant. I am not sure what most peoples definition of a Normal is, but to me they should look like some type of wild caught.

The main difference between 2087 and your example of a Buf is Border-less. If we put the same border on 2087 as your Buf, they would be a much closer phenotype match.

Another breeding I did that convinced me that some of Rich Z Butter Motleys and Striped Butters are Yellow Factored, is breedings of each to my Red Amel Motley lines and Red Striped Lines. I have always liked Red Amels over orange ones, so my hold backs that I had saved over the years, were pretty much RED. I simply wanted to make some outcrossed Striped Amels het Caramel and Amel Motleys het Caramel.

I think we could all agree that selective breeding is possible, but to me, the biggest strides would occur in the normal coloration of Corns. I am sure that Caramel lines have been selectively bred to have more NORMAL yellow coloration when Normal Phase is produced. I expected Amels from the above breeding to be a little more yellow that my lines, BUT I got Tangerines. Tangerines with yellow background color. The F1 results were just as dramatic as the examples of 2087 and 2088 that I posted links to. To me if Striped Amel Bufs and Amel Buf Motleys existed, they would have been similar.

I do not post things on the forums that I have no proof of at all. I am personally convinced that Yellow Factor, Red Factor, RedCoat, and Border-less are mutant genes, but lesser genes than genes like Amel and the pattern genes like Striped. The problem I have to present the proof that is necessary to prove them out like the discover of Buf, is that it seems as if ALL of them are like Masque. The males are very obvious, but the females are much less so.

I can pick out male Masques now just as good as if a Motley or Striped popped up in a clutch, but I don't even try to find females. I have found Masques in just about ever line I have, including Okeetee lines that are traceable to wild caughts on the ACR. Luckily, the combo of Masque and Diffused puts the Masque head pattern on Bloodred females.

There is only one witness of the original Corn that started the Caramel line. If you read one of his post above, his description to me sounds like a Yellow Factor het Caramel, or perhaps a Yellow Factored Caramel. If Caramel and Buf/Yellow factor have always been combined, then this definitely explains the different phenotypes we see in Caramel lines.

Lemon colored Butters would actually be Buf Butters, and butterscotch colored Butters would be straight Butters. We often selectively breed things like Lavenders, with only Lavenders to choose from, and never see what the Normal Phase of our Lavenders look like.

When I outcrossed an Amel Striped X Lavender het Amel to produce my original Striped Lavender Project, I produced offspring that could have been called Buf Amels and Bufs het for Striped Amel Lavender that were all Border-less. When I bred them together to produce my first Striped Lavender, I think I produced just about every phenotype possible in Amel, Lavender, Striped, Cubed, Okeetee and Normal.

The genes were split apart in F1 and then all of the pieces were seen in the F2 offspring. This was many years ago, so I fell into the "normal" variation crowd, but today when I look back on it and with all of my breeding results since, I am convinced that very light Lavenders are Yellow Factored, and Cubes are Border-less Stripes.

A 2012 example of this is a breeding I did to produce my first Striped Lavas. The breeding was a Border-less Ice het Striped X Striped het Lava. The clutch produced just about exactly 50% Striped and 50% Cubes and broken Stripes. Why did this happen, you might ask. It is simple. The Border-less Ice is just het Border-less, but it is dominant. The Striped offspring in this clutch had a 50% chance at getting the Border-less gene, so perfect Stripes were produces when the gene didn't get passed on and when Border-less was passed on to the Striped offspring, I got Cubes and partial Stripes. Most perfect Cubes are males, and most partial Stripes are females.

I would call the Border-less gene, the Border-less Disease too, because if you get it in an Okeetee Project like my original Wild Line of Lavas, it is just as difficult to get rid of as the Yellow disease, because they are dominant. I see examples of Border-less all the time, people just accept as Normals, but Border-less is not common in wild type Normals. The cool thing about Border-less is that I also think it is responsible for the crazy patterns we see in Sunkissed from projects.

Sunkissed started out as Okeetees, but when they were crossed into our Mutant Corns where Border-less is so prominent, out popped these AMAZING Sunkissed patterns that we are all so in love with.