View Single Post
Old 06-22-2019, 12:32 PM   #1
JustinOfCO
Question Bioactive vs. Traditional Vivariums

I'm slowly getting closer to actually starting to build my terrarium/vivarium setup. I've been doing a lot of reading on various enclosures, substrates, heating methods, and all the other necessities for keeping a corn snake happy. Something I ran across that I am really intrigued by, and tempted by, are bioactive substrates and vivariums.

I have been trying to weigh the pros and cons of going bioactive versus traditional aspen or other bedding. I am very tempted to try bioactive, since I have kept aquariums in the past and am comfortable with the idea of a tiny ecosystem that helps keeps the overall environment healthier for the occupants. I also love the natural look, and idea of live plants within the enclosure (fake plants just always look, well, fake to me. Especially since I have a LOT of live houseplants already). Having little helpers to take care of small bits of waste that aren't taken care of by regular spot cleaning and a potential for a higher humidity output are also pluses for me. As is the potential reduction in full substrate changes. And isopods. Because I have always had a soft spot for roly-polys.

Naturally a lot of the reading I have done has been very pro-bioactive, and I know there are cons. Higher upfront costs, more trouble should the tank need to be torn down and sanitized for health reasons, corns sometimes have a tendency to decimate live plants, etc. So I wanted to open up discussion to those of you who know way more than I do, and get some varying opinions on the subject. Especially since, of all the things I've searched here, this is the one subject I seem to have found scant little on.

So bioactive yes or no? Something halfway in-between (such as a more replaceable substrate with potted plants)? I'd love to hear your experiences!