Thread: Humidity
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2019, 08:47 AM   #1
knox
Humidity

Just some thoughts on Humidity.

A quick Google search just showed care sheets that say to keep your Corn enclosure between anywhere from 40-60% humidity on one site to 50-70% humidity on another - and others in between those numbers.

Anyone who lives in Tennessee can attest that most of our AVERAGE humidity consists of 70%-80%, reaching peak humidity in the low 90% range. South GA, AL, and nearly all of Florida are much worse.

Granted, this isn't 24 hours a day. It can start off in the 50%, rise to 85%, and settle at 70% by evening; only to start the cycle again. However, during a rainy week you can expect 90-100% humidity constantly for weeks on end.

Not only Corns, but our Black Kings, Black Racers, Rats, Timbers, Copperheads, Ringnecks, DeKay, etc... All live in these conditions.

Bottom line - don't worry too much about perfect humidity for your Corn. If there is a problem with shedding, they might need a moist hide. But don't keep them in a tropical, dripping wet enclosure, either.

40%-70% - I personally believe anywhere in this range is fine. I have heard of respiratory problems with too high humidity, but have not yet heard what the cut off range is for those problems. If there are water droplets on the walls, it IS time to dry things out a bit.

Maybe our high humidity is why we see snakes sunning themselves so often- not only for heat but drying out some with our insane humidity. This is also why I personally like an overhead heat lamp either in conjunction with belly heat or even stand alone heat source. Our snakes do seem to enjoy basking - contrary to popular opinion.

I welcome any feedback, observations, and contestation. Enjoy those Corns!

For the record, it is currently cloudy, 71 degrees F, and 90% humid in Knoxville, TN. The next few days will be like a tropical rain forest. And I am sure our snakes will be just fine.