View Single Post
Old 05-30-2017, 11:55 AM   #17
albertagirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by DollysMom View Post
I know you didn't ask me, but no one else has weighed in yet. My experience is that behavior is curiosity. Clyde is the most inquisitive little snake I've ever met. He stretches out to flick my nose and even my eyelashes. It's extremely endearing, btw. He often pops up to follow movements when no food is involved.

Right now if I dangle a mouse he flees, but if I quietly lay it on the plastic lid of his humid hide and leave him totally alone in the dark, he's eaten within three hours. I absolutely do not handle or otherwise disturb on feeding day now. I'm not saying it will work for you but if you haven't done it, it is worth a try. At least Eve is interested in the mouse! Obviously Clyde is too but only on his terms.

Best wishes.
Thanks DollysMom. I appreciate any feedback! I feel like sharp-eyed, quick, tense movements isn't her normal curiosity behavior. When curious she's more relaxed and follows movement with her eyes and head without actually coming over and bringing enough body over to allow for a strike. I could be wrong, my experience is limited, but I try to watch body language carefully to try to learn and understand the behaviors of all my animals. I know I'm getting better, but still so much I don't know! Snakes are definitely different than dogs and horses! But in the past, any time there's been a refusal of food, it's never been "I'm totally interested but won't eat". It's always been "I'm ignoring you or actively avoiding you, I don't want that".

To be honest, I've tried not handling her at all, just not handling on feeding day, handling every day. I've tried leaving the mouse in her cage overnight, leaving her in a feeding tub with the mouse overnight, feeding in tub, feeding in cage, dangle-dancing, holding still, presenting nose first, butt first, smaller sizes. I just don't know what else I could do differently aside from trying a different type of prey. I may pick up some ASF's next time I get feeders, just to see if she finds that more tempting.