View Single Post
Old 02-10-2020, 09:42 PM   #4
paulh
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitzMike View Post
Epistasis is a phenomenon that consists of the effect of one gene being dependent on the presence of one or more “modifier genes” (genetic background).

I was watching Youtube videos about Genetics the other day and stumbled upon this phenomenon. Generally, a third phenotype is generated when two separate genes are paired.

Is there such thing in cornsnakes? I was thinking of the PurpleX wherein the Lavender color is much different when paired to some genes (personally, i dont know PurpleX, i just read some posts here).
I'm very late posting in this thread. However, here I am, and this thread needs an answer.

First epistasis occurs when a mutant gene at one location in the chromosomes masks the effect of a mutant gene at another location in the chromosomes. This is different from dominance, in which one gene masks the effect of a different gene in the same location in the chromosomes. Epistasis is pretty common.

Example: in mice, the albino mutant gene masks the effect of the nonagouti mutant gene. A mouse that has a pair of nonagouti genes is black. An albino mouse is white with pink eyes. An albino mouse may also have a pair of nonagouti genes, but the mouse is still albino.

IMO, an amelanistic corn snake that also has a pair of hypo mutant genes would be difficult or impossible to tell the difference from a corn snake that only has a pair of amelanistic genes. This would be a case of epistasis.