• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Trouble Shed

Averysmom

My corn is 4 years old. I’ve had him for 6 months and he’s had about 5 great sheds no problem. This time around he had some troubles. He got his head off but I had to get a warm towel to help him get the rest off. He still has a couple little pieces around the head that haven’t come off yet. I’m a little concerned and want to make some tweaks to my husbandry to make sure his shed is good next time. So I was thinking of getting a humidifier that attaches to the tank? Is this a good idea? And if so, how often should I have it going. I don’t want it to get too humid in there. So I was thinking of just turning it on when I see he’s starting to hide during shed time. Another thing I read was to increase feedings a bit to ensure they have enough nutrients. I was thinking of instead of feeding him every 12 days, that I’d move him back down to every 10 days. I started feeding him larger asf than the feeder mice he used to eat so that’s why I went up to 12 days, but maybe that’s the problem.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi. I wouldn’t recommend a humidifier for a corn snake. Their optimum humidity range is 40 to 60%. Too much humidity may leave your snake vulnerable to a respiratory infection. What helps with shedding is a humid hide. Search here for more information. A while ago I posted a tutorial. I use sphagnum moss in my humid hides and all of my snakes have them. While all snakes are individuals by the time they are 4 they usually don’t shed that often. There may be an underlying problem you can’t see. It doesn’t hurt to get a vet check. This also will give the peace of mind that you already.have a vet in a true emergency. Best wishes.

I’m not sure what type of enclosure you have, but if it’s a glass enclosure with a screen lid, this can be a common problem. It’s difficult to keep any humidity due to the screen lid. As previously mentioned, a humid hide will help. I check my snakes daily. If I notice one going into shed I mist with slightly warm water every other day until they go clear. Than I mist once a day every day until they shed. I’ve never had a problem with shedding since.

Back