View Single Post
Old 12-15-2017, 12:55 AM   #8
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twolunger View Post
The first thing I thought, when hearing about your drone, was that it may be a great tool for locating corn snakes. LOL. You know how thick the vegetation is in southern Florida. You can't always force your way through the brush, or if you do it has to be a worthwhile venture.
Heck, not sure how well that would work for you. If the drone hits ANY of that vegetation, it is going down, and then you have to wade in after it. And likely have to replace one or more propellers. Having to change the battery every 20 or so minutes would likely get on your nerves, too. And then you could spot a beautiful, one of a kind, corn snake among the palmettos and watch as the snake, spotting the drone thinking it is some sort of predator bird, glides off into some hole among the palmettos.

I guess you could do it, but unless you are REAL good at controlling the thing, I suspect it wouldn't end well.

Now this did bring up an idea, though. I wonder if gopher tortoises sitting at the entrance their burrow, sunning themselves, would tolerate a drone flying up to them? I guess getting too close would have the downwash of the drone blowing sand in their faces, so that might not work. And it IS rather noisy. But maybe I'll have an opportunity some time to give that a try.