View Single Post
Old 02-27-2011, 12:37 PM   #30
crackerhead
Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalis40741 View Post
I am so glad you found her, I saw a thing about duct tape on your post, please be careful years ago i used some to keep a lid shut and the snake some how got into the tape and was stuck badly, snake skin and duct tape do not mix well. I know it is not a good thing but the only thing i could find to get it off was wd40, take care all and have a good one.
I have successfully used hatchling duct tape traps for years. The trick is to touch the sticky side of the tape to your shirt before setting the trap and then use Spray VEGETABLE oil to remove the stuck animal. I have, to date, never lost an animal that was captured in this manner. It is extremely effective.
I used to lose hatchlings due to deli cup lids not being totally snapped shut during overnight feeding. Totally my fault but in all fairness I get loopy after feeding five hundred of the little buggers. I was trying so hard not to catch a tail that I would not snap the lid down tight on some. The duct tape traps were an amazing find. I do things differently now so I rarely ever need to set traps but I still occasionally use them.
When I worked at the pet store we caught a leopard gecko in just such a trap. The little squirt chopped on me the whole time I worked on removing him from the trap but he suffered no ill effects. I was worried he would lose his tail or those fragile little toes during the process but he didn't. He was rattling that tail and stalking crickets within an hour of his release. I on the other hand, was looking for clean bandaids

Terri