View Single Post
Old 06-03-2004, 04:22 PM   #4
Darin Chappell
I'm really sorry to hear that the snake is doing so poorly, but it has been my experience that once they start to go limp, death is only a few days away. Be sure you do as Amanda suggested above in your cross-contamination precautions. Crypto is very rare (I've only heard of one VERIFIED case in ONE snake), but it could happen.

As an aside, and please forgive me for using this thread to prove a point...

Where are all the people who say that two corns sharing a vivarium is such a good idea??? When the two animals are healthy, non-competitive, and flourishing, everything is fine. However, these two snakes were fine in the beginning too! Then one got sick, and there is no way to know whether the other will now get sick and die too!!!

C'mon folks! Where are you all to say "Yeah, it's bad that one is dying and the other could be contaminated . . . but didn't they look CUTE together all curled up like they were before one DIED!"

I ususally try to stay out of the "can they stay together" threads (though I have failed from time to time), but I have to say this. There is NO reason for the benefit of the snakes to house them together. Since there is no BENEFIT, and there is the inherent RISK as seen in this instance, I cannot see how it is a wise husbandry practice.

You may never lose a snake, and you may lose them all. But if you keep them together, it is by mere chance that either option above takes place. As for me, I keep mine separate, and I KNOW that I am not allowing my animals to infect/infest one another with cross-contamination/stress/cannibalization issues.

I am always willing to say that there are more ways to keep corns than any of us have ever even considered, so please don't think that I believe myself to have all the answers, folks! I just wonder why we never have the "keeping them together" proponents posting on threads such as this one??? The silence is deafening and speaks volumes, IMHO.