• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Handling

megdobbs09

Hey guys,

Just had a question about handling our corn snake, who's roughly a year and a half give or take. Sorry in advance if this is a repeat topic or also a dumb question lol. But is it okay to take our snake out during the day? Obviously he's more active in the early evenings, but if we have company that wants to see him, is it okay to unbury him from the bedding? Also any tips in grabbing him out of the tank in general (when he is out and about I mean)? I'm still a little timid taking him out, so my bf has to every time [emoji85] If you can't tell, this is all new to me.

Attached is a picture of our little guy, who's name is Kaa!

Thanks for the help!IMG_20190830_225330_993.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Petty baby there.
No need to worry about when to hold him, they are very passive and as long as you don't hurt it, all is good.
As far as picking it up, just don't hesitate and try to scoop under the middle of him and support with your other hand after you pick him up.

Yep, I agree with the previous post. The only time I'm hesitant about handling is if the snake is not eating, sick, or in blue (and even then, it won't hurt them to be handled in blue; they might just be a bit cranky). As far as taking him out of the enclosure, it really helps to just confidently scoop him up. You're more likely to be bitten if you're nervous and hesitant and keep retracting your hand because you're afraid. If you are worried, you can wear a glove or use a snake hook to get him out. If I have a snake that I know is a bit bitey, I like to steadily and slowly put my hand flat on top of him and then scoop him up like a clump of spaghetti.

All good advice. The only thing I might add is that I don't handle mine after feeding until they defecate, especially for the first two days after feeding. Usually handling gently won't cause a regurgitation, but why take a chance? On the third or fourth day he may leave an unwanted gift in your lap, so wait until he's done his duty in the vivarium first.

All good advice. The only thing I might add is that I don't handle mine after feeding until they defecate, especially for the first two days after feeding. Usually handling gently won't cause a regurgitation, but why take a chance? On the third or fourth day he may leave an unwanted gift in your lap, so wait until he's done his duty in the vivarium first.

Also a good point. I forgot to add that to my list of times I wouldn't handle.

Very good point about handling mice.
Feeding bites are not the snakes fault and can be very anxious for you because you don't want you or the snake to get hurt.

Oh absolutely! That was one of the first things I read when we got him. Plus He's already pooped on my boyfriend and u don't want that happening to me lmao!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Back