• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Baby corn not eating :(

CL3M3N7

Okay, My baby corn has been feeding weekly on pinkies no problem until this point! I keep trying but has not ate since 30th December am worried :( Now its simply refusing to eat!
Any ideas?

Is it possible that he/she is about to shed? Sometimes a corn can take several weeks to shed. Also, what are your temperatures on both sides? Have you changed anything in its tank recently?

hmm could possibly be shedding :\ I hope thats it and nah changed nothing :\ Temps are about 28 warm n 21 cool. Is that alright or not?

Thanks for your help :)

think thats normal .. you can have it 21 on cold and 29-30 on warm .. but depending on how big the viv is, if its smaller then 28 is probs fine ..

Also would just like to add, that if your snake refuses a meal do not try again until at least 5 days has passed, offering food more frequently than that can stress your snake out and cause it to continue to refuse to eat, esp. if it is a hatchling and may possibly be in shed.

Here is how shedding works, just in case you are not familiar with it.

There are 4 basic stages to the shedding process
1) Pre shed - we can not always tell a snake is in it but some signs are the translucent belly scales, hiding more, grumpier, rough feeling skin, eye color slightly off, skin color slightly dull
2) Blue - this is when the eyes get cloudy or "blue" due to the secretions which loosen the eye caps and skin, the skin also takes on a light or discolored look. Your snake may be really grumpy or nervous during this time as they can not see very well during this phase
3) Clear up - this is the stage right before they actually shed, the eyes and skin clear back up to how they would normally look
4) Shed - this is when they actually shed the old skin off to reveal the new and improved look

This process varies for each snake, generally small ones like yours are done the entire process in a bout a week but some take longer. I have one small one who takes a week and a half, one adult who takes about 10 days and a yearling who takes closer to 15 days, if varies with each snake.

Hope this helps.

i had a feeding problem not too long ago. Try thawing a pinkie in chicken broth. It worked like a miracle for me, hopefully it will work well for you too!!

Hey, Thanks for all the help means a lot.
Last night I tried again and would not eat so I left the pinkie in the viv and when I woke up this morning noticed it had gone!
I may just do that in the future because I normally feed it in a seperate container :)
I will try these techniques in the future and thanks Asbit I actually do think its starting a shed.
Btw, sorry for always calling it an IT, I dont actually know the sex of my snake which is annoying haha

Thanks, Liam

What is IT called? Then you can refer to your snake by the name for us and hey when do we get a pic of your snake?

Back