• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

ESCAPEE or HIDE LOG HORRORS?

Deja Vu or what? No more fancy hide. Long live TP tubes!:cheers:

Sooooo happy to hear you found her. God I love the feeling you get when you find a lost snake alive and well.

Terri

I rescued a garter snake right before the first snow fell of the winter and my boyfriend and I got a zilla tank and that same log hide. The garter was probably barely a month old, he was tiny! One morning I went over to check him out and I couldn't find him we took apart the whole viv looking for him and came to the conclusion that he must have gotten out. A day later my father was standing in the kitchen and decided to check out the viv and low and behold right in that same spot Cassandra got stuck in our little guys head popped out of. He was small enough to go in and out of it so it was his new hiding spot! It amazing how they will find even the smallest cracks. I'm glad you were able to find Cassandra!

Thank you all for your well wishes and shared stories. I'm hoping that between us all, many will be forewarned and spared the anguish. :)

No doubt! Congrats at finding the little hide seek winner of the year. Even more amazing the little thing never drowned....scary! Guess I'll stick to TP tubes and over turned dishes.

I am so glad you found her, I saw a thing about duct tape on your post, please be careful years ago i used some to keep a lid shut and the snake some how got into the tape and was stuck badly, snake skin and duct tape do not mix well. I know it is not a good thing but the only thing i could find to get it off was wd40, take care all and have a good one.

Crotalis, I never had to use the tape once I found it was the hide that was the problem and not the Zilla. But thanks so much for your excellent advice!

I am so glad you found her, I saw a thing about duct tape on your post, please be careful years ago i used some to keep a lid shut and the snake some how got into the tape and was stuck badly, snake skin and duct tape do not mix well. I know it is not a good thing but the only thing i could find to get it off was wd40, take care all and have a good one.

I have successfully used hatchling duct tape traps for years. The trick is to touch the sticky side of the tape to your shirt before setting the trap and then use Spray VEGETABLE oil to remove the stuck animal. I have, to date, never lost an animal that was captured in this manner. It is extremely effective.
I used to lose hatchlings due to deli cup lids not being totally snapped shut during overnight feeding. Totally my fault but in all fairness I get loopy after feeding five hundred of the little buggers. I was trying so hard not to catch a tail that I would not snap the lid down tight on some. The duct tape traps were an amazing find. I do things differently now so I rarely ever need to set traps but I still occasionally use them.
When I worked at the pet store we caught a leopard gecko in just such a trap. The little squirt chopped on me the whole time I worked on removing him from the trap but he suffered no ill effects. I was worried he would lose his tail or those fragile little toes during the process but he didn't. He was rattling that tail and stalking crickets within an hour of his release. I on the other hand, was looking for clean bandaids:D

Terri

I will not be buying those type of hides. Thanks for posting pictures of it. I'm shocked she didn't drownd when you had the hide in the water. I will stick with the tp rolls, not pretty but they seem to love them.

Well, I'm glad that what Nanci, myself and others have gone through with this unseen hidey-hole is going to help others. BTW, none of my snakes has ever used a TP or PT roll when I had many in their Vivs...go figure.

Holy wow. You would never believe this but my ultramel girl did the same thing IN THE SAME EXACT HIDE!

I showed my mother this thread and she flipped out too. Mom was the one that held the log while I sawed in to rescue the baby.

That log is EVIL, evil I tell you. It's a shame it's so darn pretty. I had them in three vivs and all snakes lost log privileges after the first accident. I stick with paper towel/toilet paper tubes, grape vine sticks, and fake plants now.

I just recently made some log hides for my larger snakes. I have to do the whole decontamination thing on them though, before I use them.

haha wow I have that exact tank (20L) and that exact hide... it's her favourite. she likes to hide in the bottom corner where it looks like it's resting on the other piece... i'll double check the top part of it later today when i feed her to be sure it's not got a hole >.>

Every one I had got the blind limb amputated and they all had the hole. You cannot see it or feel it.

haha wow I have that exact tank (20L) and that exact hide... it's her favourite. she likes to hide in the bottom corner where it looks like it's resting on the other piece... i'll double check the top part of it later today when i feed her to be sure it's not got a hole >.>

The opening IS there...trust us. You won't be able to see or feel it. Just cut that part off and your snake can still use it. ;)

Back